Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-07-2011 , 03:15 AM

Extrude tool

Hey guys, I've been using extrude a lot lately but suddenly I have to manually select the extruded face to move it.

Did I press something to make it this way? What I mean is that usually when I click extrude, it auto selects the face and I can just move it right after clicking extrude but now I have to press w before I can see the manipulators

Thanks in advance

# 2 22-07-2011 , 09:18 AM
The thin red line
You could try resetting the tool but I dont think that will work, you might have to rename or delete your preference file............dave

# 3 23-07-2011 , 10:45 PM
Subscriber
what are the exact steps of what you have been doing?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 24-07-2011 , 01:14 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Have you got history turned off?

J

# 5 26-07-2011 , 02:29 AM
My history is on etc,

I have my extrude as ctrl+e; but regardless of if I ctrl+e or manually extrude it it doesnt auto select the face after extruding.

# 6 26-07-2011 , 02:55 AM
Subscriber
again... what are the exact steps of what you have been doing?
eg,
select a face
hit the extrude tool and extrude

or

select the model
hit the extrude tool and extrude all the faces at once

etc

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 26-07-2011 , 07:26 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ok. One small thing to try. Do a new scene and test on a primtive cube, sphere etc. Been rattling my brain cell and I recalled a similar problem from a few months back. Good ol maya 2011....

If it works for the new scene, then I would export the object you have been using as an obj and try again

J

# 8 26-07-2011 , 02:18 PM
Oh sorry, the steps I make are; Select object, select face, click extrude... at this point I have to manually press w afterwards to pull out the face, it doesn't auto select to be pulled like usual.

I've tried exporting it to a new scene as well but that doesn't seem to work either, I tried making a new scene and making a random object, cube, and extruding but it seems to have the same problem.

It seems to go back to normal if I select a face then press s but I'm not sure why that's happening now, any ideas?