Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 10-09-2011 , 04:04 PM

1991 Nissan 240SX

Reworking a 1991 Nissan 240sx. Hybrid originally blocked it out, set up image planes and got the blueprints, But i'm going through and remodeling the panels to see different ways of modeling the same part. I will show updates soon. Possible comparisons and wires.

I would like to stress this is not my model, i'm just doing some light to severe tweaking of the model unless otherwise stated.

# 2 10-09-2011 , 05:06 PM
No images yet, but i tweaked the reference planes, it seems they weren't centered properly causing the finished vehicle to be way too wide and short.

Started on the hood. This car is from the early 90's, which generally mean hard shoulder lines and fairly angular slopes, so this should be quick for the most part.

# 3 10-09-2011 , 06:00 PM
My front bumper is on the right, The one Hybrid did on the left. I'm pretty sure we were going off different references images. I went with what i assumed to be the "Stock" bumper as i found the most references for it. Judging by the style on his he had a performance version.

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 10-09-2011 , 06:10 PM
Hood was super easy. Even added the windshield wiper fluid nozzles(do they have a more specific name?). I didnt think it would take long but i didnt think it would take 5 minutes....

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 10-09-2011 , 07:40 PM
Front Quarter Panel done. Headlight done as well. I've never done the old style "Flip" headlights before. very unique housing but easy to model(i have to give it "guts" still if i want to open them to show the lights) but i made sure it has enough room to pivot correctly.

First image is mine, Second is Hybrids side.

*note*

All of mine are smoothed with edge loops and everything.
Hybrids are not smoothed because he hadn't done edge loops yet and i thought it looked off to render them smoothed.

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 10-09-2011 , 08:11 PM
A-Pillar and roof. All my references show them as separate pieces so i made them separate. Mine on the right, Hybrids on the left. The A-Pillar looks simple but it has more to it that is actually part of the door, i will make that when i get to the door.

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 10-09-2011 , 10:00 PM
Lifetime Member
Hey TD long tiime no see......nice start man...you using poly and extrude edges for this??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 10-09-2011 , 10:33 PM
Yeah i haven't really posted much but i lurk here everyday(it's been the home page on my browser for years...)

Yes poly/extrude for everything. then using the "3" quick smooth preview thing(i have no clue what it is actually called or does) to make it look smoother.

I don't like to post my WIPS because i rarely finish a project. I just get to the point where it is no longer fun or i finish the part i was looking forward to and stop.

# 9 10-09-2011 , 10:40 PM
It's a DOOR!

The edge going through the door handle was not fun... no sir...

Now on to the rear Quarter panel i believe, Skirt as well but i haven't check to see if they are connected or not.

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 10-09-2011 , 10:42 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL smooth preview mate is the name. Yeh I think I have about 100 unfinished projects LOL. I couldnt finish my vehi-feng (check it out) cos the laptop was smokin! So I have started another Spitfire to get me going....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 10-09-2011 , 11:00 PM
Acid44
Damn, looks nice man, no idea why I haven't modeled one of these yet, been meaning to for ages :p

# 12 10-09-2011 , 11:41 PM
Bullet: The only thing i seem to be able to finish are cars. I dont generally texture but i at least model them to completion. Everything else is hundreds of unfinished models on my comp going back a long while...

Acid: Oh yeah the 240sx is classic. I have a list of about 40 cars on my "Need to model sooner or later" list. This is one of Hybrids models he started so the image planes and blueprints part was done. For some reason i just can not seem to get the motivation to set up image planes and set up the blueprints for a project... but no problems spending hours modeling it.

So far my completed car list is:
2004 Nissan 350z
1995 Dodge Status ES
1995 Toyota Celica GT-S
2009 Chevrolet Camaro Concept

# 13 11-09-2011 , 01:55 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

So far my completed car list is:
2004 Nissan 350z
1995 Dodge Status ES
1995 Toyota Celica GT-S
2009 Chevrolet Camaro Concept

I remember the Camaro!

New models off to a good start. I have a tough time finishing projects too... it seems to run in the blood of us new-age modellers user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 14 11-09-2011 , 02:03 AM
Generally when i start a project there is one part i'm looking forward to working on or figuring out.. when i get it done... sometimes i no longer have the drive to finish the rest, it's just busy work at that point.

And my most recent is the Celica which is probably still in the first few pages of the finished work forum.

# 15 11-09-2011 , 02:54 AM
Acid44
Oh man, 90's Celica is another one I have to model at some point.