Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-09-2011 , 11:11 AM
Great community

Headus UVLayout

Hi,

I would like to ask you to help me with this program; if I´m done with UV's what I need to do next??except of saving it into .obj file...

Thanks

# 2 16-09-2011 , 06:38 PM
Lifetime Member
Headus UV is a pelt mapper which is to say it lays out the UV's like a skin or pelt (i.e a bearskin rug) so you have to cut the UV edges that might hinder this process,this might be as simple as just one or two edges or might mean cutting a chunk off and separating it from the main and laying that piece out by itself (you can cut any amount of pieces and lay them out by alternating between Display view and UV view.

The basic workflow is to save your model in Maya to .obj then open it in Headus UV and unwrap.If you want use symmetry you can use the Symmetry
tool to speed up cut'n'weld operations. Click on the Find button, then
LMB click on any edge that sits on the mirror line (i.e. the line that
divides the two symmetrical halves), then tap the space bar to continue;
if all goes well, the left half of the mesh will be shaded darker than the
right, indicating that symmetry editing is now active; non-symmetrical polys are shaded yellow.

Editing goes along these lines ...

in the Display view the Ed will be selected

hit C to cut ,define the cuts then shift S

Hit D to drop it to UV space

Go to Display on UI and select UV on the view tab

HIT shift F to flaten after a while hit spacebar

to go back to editing mode hit shift D and select Ed on the view tab of the UI
repeat for remaining pieces if you have any.

Other commands : backspace will unselect edges.

shift LMB to rotate

spacebar LMB to rotate

spacebar MMB to move

ctrl MMB drag to move UV's

hot S to do symmetry

C to cut

W to weld

in 3d mode hit T to see textures

Once you have the U.V's completed you Save .
Now load the saved .obj back into Maya and you are done.If you want you can now save the newly UV'ed model in Maya as an .mb or leave as an .obj if you need to take it into Zbrush or 3Dpaint or something .

If you want to create you own textures then select your model and bring up the UV Texture editor, simply click on UV snapshot on the menu and save your UV layout in the size you want your textures.Now you can load the snapshot into Photoshop and using either multiply or screen as your blend mode (depending on layer position)paint away and create any texture,bump,reflection or specularity ect maps you need.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 16-09-2011 at 07:19 PM.
# 3 16-09-2011 , 07:27 PM
Great community

Once you have the U.V's completed you Save .
Now load the saved .obj back into Maya and you are done.If you want you can now save the newly UV'ed model in Maya as an .mb or leave as an .obj if you need to take it into Zbrush or 3Dpaint or something .

If you want to create you own textures then select your model and bring up the UV Texture editor, simply click on UV snapshot on the menu and save your UV layout in the size you want your textures.Now you can load the snapshot into Photoshop and using either multiply or screen as your blend mode (depending on layer position)paint away and create any texture,bump,reflection or specularity ect maps you need.

Thanks jsprogg!

That's the exactly what I was looking for.
Creck