Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-09-2011 , 06:33 PM

what will be the right step of learning Maya

hi
i am new in maya and joined an academy to learn it properly. But the problem is that they are not describe the detailed about UI and Menu setting and Tool introduction as i can see in any online tutorials.I start learning with facial modeling which was quite hard for meuser added image then i shifted to hand modeling. But i find it also not easy for a beginner. So i want to know what will be the right step for going advance level . Or somehow this is my fault that i cant follow them .. pls give me a guide line as i lost my confidence. user added image

# 2 22-09-2011 , 07:45 PM
The Nurb Herd
model some fruit. like an apple.

# 3 22-09-2011 , 08:26 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well we all need to start somewhere, find something of interest, that isnt too hard like fruit as dom suggested. Its useful to read through the help files too and find some free tutorials online, we have some here on the site and also the web is full of stuff. To get to the advanced level you have to learn the basics first.

Jay

# 4 24-09-2011 , 04:49 AM
Motion Graphic Designer

MAYA

Amigo, first if a bit booring becuase you see lots of Icons and Manues but later you will see they are really handy in it own time, and as Jay says begin with simple shapes and spend some time to give it more details, don't go over complex models like demon creatures .user added image

Moh.Murtaza Mohammadi

knowledge is power
# 5 24-09-2011 , 05:39 AM
Technical Director
If you're new to the software, I think you should start trying to get to a novice level, before an advanced level.

Facial modeling is one of the, if not the hardest things you can do in cg. Since we're all experts at facial recognition, even just a little thing can sometimes creep us out.

Start small, then go from there. The first thing I did was run through a tutorial about how to model, texture, and animate a spaceship. What I see all the time are people saying "I'm going to make something that looks as good as Final Fantasy," only to come back 2 weeks later and blame their failure on the software. Best to avoid it user added image

But if this "academy" is not teaching you the software, but just telling you to "click here, click here," I would try to get my money back...

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 24-09-2011 , 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
I don't the details but it sounds like you signed up for some kind of course(online?) that is over your head because as far as I know, traditional institutions would require you to complete certain credits before you're even able to sign up for advanced stuff. Which would explain why they don't cover the UI and have you modeling faces.

- Genny
# 7 24-09-2011 , 04:41 PM
Administrator
Good point about the course, which course are you taking at what academy? If you don't mind telling us it might be easier to recommend some books and good resources to get you up to speed.

Nilla