Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-04-2012 , 12:51 PM
Subscriber

The Baron

As a break from UV mapping the 'vulture Squadron' I thought I would try some charter modelling a try. My first real bit of character modelling in Maya.
I think the hardest think for me learning Maya is trying to run before I can walk: having the ideas but not the skill or understanding of the software to make it happen. This character was a good example of that. I had the idea for him ages ago and launched straight into it but soon had too many questions on how to model various bits that it ground to a halt. I had to wait till my knowledge to catch up. Hopefully i am getting there…

I know I've got a few issues with triangles on his cheeks which I need to sort out but, as always, it would be great to hear any thoughts and comment you guys have .

oh and I guess I will have to uv map him too… and rig him user added image

Cheers Steve

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-04-2012 , 12:55 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well done on your first character. You could probably add a loop or two to the legs as on the wide bit as it will uv better without stretching. But otherwise well done mate

Jay

# 3 01-04-2012 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Jay for your advice and encouragement. I will add so extra loops.
cheers

# 4 01-04-2012 , 01:34 PM
Looks good jp and like the theme you have chosen to work with as well.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 03-04-2012 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber
Thanks ct… pleased you like the theme, you cannot go wrong with over the top Prussian Generals lol!!!

Jay thanks for you advice I have added an extra loop vertically on the wide part of the trousers and tried to evenly space things out a bit more. Is that better?
Also a mate of mine said that I may have an issue with the top of the knees and the bottom of the trousers, he said it may deform when the knee is bent. Would extra geometry around the knee fix this issue or does the bottom of the flappy bit of the trouser need to be pulled up?

Cheers
Steve

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 17-05-2012 , 04:45 AM
Subscriber
An update! Been working away at him slowly ( doing other projects as well user added image ) But finally UV, and as you can see, started to put some colour on him. Because his head is so exaggerated I had a a few issues mapping the head, mainly due to his nose. In the end I decided to cut the nose off and do it as a separate bit with the seam running under his moustache, up the crease behind the nostril, around by the eye and up and under the eyebrow. so hopefully not too much of the join will be on show.

Remodelled a few bits -facial hair and collar.

Slowly building up the colour and texture, no bump or anything like that has been added yet, just dropping in the flat colours( apart from his jacket).

As always great to hear your thoughts and comment.
Cheers
Steve

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 17-05-2012 , 08:45 AM
Good job, looks like you had fun with the textures, its really made it 'pop'

Jay

# 8 18-05-2012 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Jay, yeah I had fun! lol. He is slowly coming to life.

# 9 21-05-2012 , 03:17 AM
Lifetime Member
wow cool work mate....love the subjects you are doing...brings back great childhood memories

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 23-05-2012 , 10:54 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Bullet... pleased you like it ... so you were a big nosed prussian general as a kid then LOL user added image

Had a few issues with him this week when maya decided to crack the shits and crash on me... corrupting the file so i could not open it user added image. So I have had to go back to an earlier version and re-texture him again... UGGGGG!!!user added image
But at least I had an earlier version.

# 11 23-05-2012 , 03:50 PM
Great job on the textures. Everything is looking greeat.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 12 24-05-2012 , 09:58 AM
Subscriber
Thanks ctbram.

# 13 14-08-2012 , 01:42 PM
Subscriber
A quick question guys... well I don't know if the answer will be quick!

I am back on the baron again after a few months rest (the weight painting was doing my head in!) but he is now retextured, remodelled in places, rigged (still having fun with weight painting!) and I've done some blend shapes for his face. All fine and dandy... but now my question.
How do I get his moustache to move with his face? as in when his top lip move to one side, for example, his Mo goes with it. I can do it so that when his whole head moves the moustache goes with it. At the moment it is parented to the head joint.
Hope that makes sense.

Also if i wanted to give his mo a 'life of its own' - the tips of it moving up and down - what would be the best way for that? Its own rig?
sorry thats two questions user added image
cheers guys

# 14 15-08-2012 , 12:05 AM
yeah a tough one, maybe do some blendshapes of the moustache to match the mouth and the use Set Driven Key and get the face shapes to drive the moustache shapes

J

# 15 17-08-2012 , 01:50 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Jay. I must be getting to know maya because I didn't think it would be a straight forward answer! lol user added image I guess I would use the same set up for his eyebrow movement?

I will let you know how I get on... still struggling with weight painting his jacket! maybe i should just model him in a pose. This may seem like a dumb question but if you are not going to animate your character but you still want to pose him (rather than have him in 'T' pose) is there a simpler/quicker way of doing so?