Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 26-09-2011 , 09:57 PM
Lifetime Member

Cartoon Turtle

Ill post a few pics here of this turtle I started working on a few days ago. This is my first WIP submission with SimplyMaya user added image so any critic is appreciated. I started the project from a poly plane and I am only using polygons for this model. I just made this character up and haven't been using reference images which I know is usually a mistake but a turtle is pretty easy. I am trying to learn ZBrush now so I can then take the turtle and give him some nice details.

Question? user added image
I am wondering where is the line between low poly and high poly? How much detail should I put into the base mesh before I take it into ZBrush? For instance should I give the shell groves by extruding the individual polys?
And one last question What would be the best way to attach the turtles body to the shell keeping in mind being able to animate the turtle to pull itself inside the shell?

Thanks,

Jake

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 2 26-09-2011 , 11:03 PM
Lifetime Member

Eyes

I got the eyes and face filled in for my turtle this afternoon.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 27-09-2011 , 01:24 AM
EduSciVis-er
Nice start, it's looking pretty cool. I don't really buy the nose though... turtles don't have those, and even in cartoon, to me it looks a bit unusual. I think some reference would be good for the sides of the shell, and that will help you with figuring out how to attach the body. Hope that helps, keep it up!

# 4 27-09-2011 , 04:33 PM
Lifetime Member
Yea I've really been debating the nose I thought it was kinda odd looking I'll see if I can come with some references for a new nose.

Thanks,

Jake

# 5 30-09-2011 , 09:18 PM
Lifetime Member

Update

Here is my updated turtle I am just about finished with the base mesh. I think user added image So now over to Zbrush and then texturing. I am open to suggestions if anyone has any good advice. I've never animated an animal with a beak So I hope the topology will be okay the way I have it laid out.

Apart from restructuring the face I gave the shell some basic geometry to help for zbrush modeling and I added new feet and claws. I am also on the fence about keeping the hat or not.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks SimplyMaya

Jake

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 30-09-2011 , 09:37 PM
The thin red line
I think that looks a lot better, if you are new to texturing I would stick to normal maps and colour maps from zbrush. I dont like that hat maybe a flat cap.......dave

# 7 01-10-2011 , 12:17 AM
EduSciVis-er
That's looking much improved... I think the hat looks okay, but maybe better without, I don't know.

# 8 17-10-2011 , 07:47 PM
Super cute character. The modeling is really coming along!

# 9 17-10-2011 , 08:37 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks user added image

I will hopefully be able to post the textured turtle here soon I've been a bit distracted with hunting season but I got an Elk so now back to Maya.

Jake

- Jake