Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-10-2011 , 12:36 PM

Duel versions of MAYA possible?

HI Forum.

Is it possible to have two different operating years of MAYA on my hard drive and use them independently of each other? In other words a 2011 AND 2012 version? Probably a stupid question, but I was wondering because I'm having problems (and after reading through the forum a bit, apparently this is a common experience) with the stability of 2012 that I never experienced with 2011.

They wouldn't like cross cancel each other out or anything if I brought in 2011 as well would they?

I don't want to dump 2012 because there may be advantages I am not yet aware of having just started the software. But 2011 was really nearly error free.

Advice is appreciated as always.

Travis

# 2 06-10-2011 , 01:25 PM
EduSciVis-er
I've currently got 2 versions installed (2009 and 2012) and the only problems I've had were the environment variables pointing to one and not the other, but I think I can sort it out so it points to both, possibly. Worst case I just have to change the env var each time I want to use the other version. I agree... 2012 has a few nifty features and tools so far, but 2009 is so much more stable...

# 3 06-10-2011 , 01:31 PM
I have both 2011 and 2012 installed. No problems at all.

The 2012 service pack 1 has certainly improved stability at my end as well.

# 4 06-10-2011 , 02:10 PM
Yes you can run separate versions of maya but the bridging problem you are having is not a maya 2012 bug.

I watched your video and it appears the problem is just a common thing that can happen when you bridge which is the edges are not bridging to the correct corresponding edges which causes them to look twisted. You just have to "SCRUB" the "Bridge Offset" control of the bridge node until the edges are bridged correctly. In the video you are tweaking the "Divisions" control which just adds more faces between the bridged edges but will not untwist them.

Also, grab SP1 from autodesk for Maya 2012. It should fix some of the 2012 instabilities, as CAS mentions.

To scrub the bridge offset value just select "Bridge Offset" and in the main window press and hold the middle mouse button and drag the mouse right and left to scrub the bridge offset value up and down until the edges are bridged properly.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 06-10-2011 at 03:53 PM.
# 5 06-10-2011 , 03:07 PM
Thanks again CTBram.

I'm going to do that (scrub) this weekend when I can get back on and spend some devoted time to MAYA after my work week's finished. As for the other recommendation, here comes the newb question...what's an SP1 please and how do I apply that to my MAYA?

Seriously, on a final note guys, I've been on this forum, what, two days or so? And not one, but several of you have taken the time to respond with so much assistance. I'm really just very impressed and grateful. I've been a member at video copilot forum for over a month and I'm lucky if I get a reply at all without like major shovellings of attitude. They sometimes punish even the newbs for asking questions I guess are beneath them.

I really feel welcome here and I thank you for your time patience and expertise.

Travis

# 6 06-10-2011 , 03:14 PM
We all had to start somewhere and the folks here are pretty good willed and try to be helpful.

SP1 == service pack 1. If you go to https://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9242259 you can download it. Unfortunately is it not a .msp (an update install), so they recommend you first uninstall the current Maya 2012 and then install the SP1 download.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675