Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 76 01-12-2011 , 05:12 PM
Noober than noob

btw I forgot to mention the structure of the teeth. When you model teeth just make sure the count goes as follows.There are 4 incisors, 2 canines, 4 premolars, and 6 molars. They are the same count for both the bottom and the top just the bottom being more narrow...

Yeah though some people have only 4 molars on each jaw (me for example O.o and most of my relatives).

# 77 01-12-2011 , 11:26 PM
I actually possess no molars in my mouth and only the pre-molars due to having them taken out as a teenager. I have a small mouth and my braces would have never aligned properly if they had left them in. So you are correct on the deviation if you wish. On another forum a guy did a study on Tom Cruise and he was shown to have a tooth in the middle of his incisors. He's got wicked jacked up teeth....

# 78 01-12-2011 , 11:32 PM
Noober than noob

I actually possess no molars in my mouth and only the pre-molars due to having them taken out as a teenager. I have a small mouth and my braces would have never aligned properly if they had left them in. So you are correct on the deviation if you wish. On another forum a guy did a study on Tom Cruise and he was shown to have a tooth in the middle of his incisors. He's got wicked jacked up teeth....

Yeah but the Wisdom Teeth don't always grow, I didn't mean that they are taken out. Some people don't have the gene for wisdom teeth.

Tom Cruise's got nothing on the people who have molars growing from the center of their mouth's top O.O

# 79 14-12-2011 , 03:57 AM

Eyeless Dude

Snagged this from a FB friends wall some time ago and always wanted to tackle it. Still have stuff to do but it is just something I messed around with today.

Attached Thumbnails
# 80 14-12-2011 , 04:06 AM
Messin around with textures today and lookin at medical simulations closer. I figure in 10 years time I will be good enough to get paid a $1 an hour... For the time being I guess I will do it for the love

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 14-12-2011 at 04:42 AM.
# 81 14-12-2011 , 11:51 AM
Noober than noob

Snagged this from a FB friends wall some time ago and always wanted to tackle it. Still have stuff to do but it is just something I messed around with today.

Creepy! O_O Could make a horror movie with it.

# 82 14-12-2011 , 04:25 PM
EduSciVis-er
Are you interested in medical illustration? There are schools that teach it (see my tag <--). By the way, I wouldn't call it a medical simulation. Simulations are designed to understand new things. Visualizations are designed to communicate something that is already known.

# 83 15-12-2011 , 03:14 AM

Progress 12.14.2011

Built this ship this afternoon. Not a F-ing tri or NGon on it. Still have to finalize the main bits and then get down to the small stuff and ornate siding to make it sell. Oh can't tell you how much I want to UV this thing.... Will UV then send it off to ZBrush for sculpt and texturing. Hoping to make it a three day job total....

edit: I couldn't help but throw something in Vue. Just tryin to make Leon jealous of my atmosphere skills... Actually haven't used it in quite some time so I figured I would pop in for a quick brush up and render. First time rendering on my i7. Popped out the lo-res in 2 minutes... Not bad... The hi-res took 25 minutes. The shadow across the bottom is just the edge of the terrain...

As for the medical stuff I am just messing around with it. Kind of mixing up the layer shader and the effects within the material browser. I know C4D in and out at this point and I just want to see which way I can push it... Thanks for the blog lead though. Will have a read through that when my eyes get some rest.

Later guys....

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 15-12-2011 at 07:17 AM.
# 84 15-12-2011 , 04:20 AM
EduSciVis-er
Blog? Oh, I meant my "MScBMC student" tag. Anyway, I'm not the best person to exemplify what a medical illustrator is... just started.

Cool ship. Nice work so far for an afternoon.

# 85 15-12-2011 , 10:19 AM
Noober than noob

Built this ship this afternoon. Not a F-ing tri or NGon on it. Still have to finalize the main bits and then get down to the small stuff and ornate siding to make it sell. Oh can't tell you how much I want to UV this thing.... Will UV then send it off to ZBrush for sculpt and texturing. Hoping to make it a three day job total....

edit: I couldn't help but throw something in Vue. Just tryin to make Leon jealous of my atmosphere skills... Actually haven't used it in quite some time so I figured I would pop in for a quick brush up and render. First time rendering on my i7. Popped out the lo-res in 2 minutes... Not bad... The hi-res took 25 minutes. The shadow across the bottom is just the edge of the terrain...

As for the medical stuff I am just messing around with it. Kind of mixing up the layer shader and the effects within the material browser. I know C4D in and out at this point and I just want to see which way I can push it... Thanks for the blog lead though. Will have a read through that when my eyes get some rest.

Later guys....

Awesome O.O Even the landscape. Except for that line there on the water.
Just that the texture's still not fitting into the landscape enough, idk exactly what is missing.

# 86 15-12-2011 , 04:57 PM
That streak is the edge of the terrain. It is a procedural terrain with a fractal map and recursive stratification applied. The boat starts there and sail forward. I just took the still at frame 1 and got the clipping. But whatevs. That stuff is easy to set up...

# 87 15-12-2011 , 05:10 PM
Noober than noob

That streak is the edge of the terrain. It is a procedural terrain with a fractal map and recursive stratification applied. The boat starts there and sail forward. I just took the still at frame 1 and got the clipping. But whatevs. That stuff is easy to set up...

So it's also to give the shore effect? Cool.
Wonder if water on Maya takes ages to render...

# 88 15-12-2011 , 06:39 PM
Shore effect? Well the water covers the whole scen by default. It never ends. But the procedural terrain is set to 2km x 2km and has a designated height of 400m. Most people who use Vue make the basic mistake of scaling their scene improperly. Like putting a boat scaled down so it fits your whole world in a 250m x 250m landscape with these epic mountains that would be of greater size. This in turn leads to the improper aerial perspective and a feeling of clarity that most never see unless in a mountain range hours after a massive rainfall. It is set up like this to promote small scenes and rich ecosystems but people tend to want to produce mountains and this setting is too small for a scene of that scale. This in itself is what allows for a proper atmosphere. That way you can dial in the fog and haze settings to correspond with the altitude you have set. Not to mention the atmosphere limit can be set to the normal 6km and give you the blues in the sky. The one thing I tend to exaggerate is the height of the clouds. Something gets me when they interact with the mountains. I kinda like it like that....

As for Maya I have no idea on the ocean shader. I know in C4D you add a turbulent water shader and then use a formula effector to produce the "roll" of the waves. Never really liked it that much. If you want believability you have to use Realflow. With the addition of Hybrido you can create excellent results with the addition of particles coming off the impact and the wake. But it takes a long time to simulate and then you have to either have Renderkit or in the case of C4D I would create cloudlets and hair for the foam and spray. Krakatoa has astounding results as well but I have no idea on how to use it since I have never even opened 3DSMax.

Last edited by Chavfister; 15-12-2011 at 07:50 PM.
# 89 15-12-2011 , 08:00 PM
Noober than noob

Shore effect? Well the water covers the whole scen by default. It never ends. But the procedural terrain is set to 2km x 2km and has a designated height of 400m. Most people who use Vue make the basic mistake of scaling their scene improperly. Like putting a boat scaled down so it fits your whole world in a 250m x 250m landscape with these epic mountains that would be of greater size. This in turn leads to the improper aerial perspective and a feeling of clarity that most never see unless in a mountain range hours after a massive rainfall. It is set up like this to promote small scenes and rich ecosystems but people tend to want to produce mountains and this setting is too small for a scene of that scale. This in itself is what allows for a proper atmosphere. That way you can dial in the fog and haze settings to correspond with the altitude you have set. Not to mention the atmosphere limit can be set to the normal 6km and give you the blues in the sky. The one thing I tend to exaggerate is the height of the clouds. Something gets me when they interact with the mountains. I kinda like it like that....

As for Maya I have no idea on the ocean shader. I know in C4D you add a turbulent water shader and then use a formula effector to produce the "roll" of the waves. Never really liked it that much. If you want believability you have to use Realflow. With the addition of Hybrido you can create excellent results with the addition of particles coming off the impact and the wake. But it takes a long time to simulate and then you have to either have Renderkit or in the case of C4D I would create cloudlets and hair for the foam and spray. Krakatoa has astounding results as well but I have no idea on how to use it since I have never even opened 3DSMax.

By shore effect i meant that there's a plate (ground) under the water surface so that it makes it look like a real shore, but the plate ends where that line is (as I cannot see any more soil after the line).
The scene looks very real, only that the boat in last pic seems to need either a darker texture or it's not textured yet.

I've started working with Maya particles and I think they might be good for making clouds, but I have no idea if there is a way to just pause the particles so that they remain forever in a state and take the shape of an object at the same time. Might be the solution to making that cosmic dust I need, but probably there is an easier way or a less resource consuming way than liquids.
Even though I have 3ds max, I never tested anything related to water or clouds on it. Only lighting, reflection/refraction and some basic animation.

# 90 15-12-2011 , 11:31 PM
Yea for the particle stuff I suggest you concentrate on something else and take things slowly. If it was me I would emit a pmatterwave on a freeze node within TP and then have the emitter produce different scale and rotation values of sprites. Honestly the best way for me to do it is like I said before with Particular in AE. Problem is that C4D is the only app that talks directly with AE and can roundtrip. It is a beautiful thing...

So this is my project to tackle at the moment. should be able to have the whole thing modeled in a few hours. A little FA-18 that I can add to the collection. I love how people complain about C4D modeling and how it sucks. How so? It has all of the tools of the other packages. I think it is just that most suck at C4D instead...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 15-12-2011 at 11:53 PM.