Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-10-2011 , 08:47 PM

Has anyone else experienced this/these?...

Hey forum.

So, before I get to my two main questions, I’ve experienced so many mel-script errors on so many fronts with version 2012 that I’ve started a screen grab mel script bug library I’ll probably share and post at some point soon to get a little feedback.

I know I’m a newb, but man, I NEVER had this many issues in 2011.

Anyway, I have 2 questions…

1) Lighting issue?

When lighting (using view all lights in perspective view as I’m working), the lighting preview seems to work great…UNTIL I delete a light. Then, the entire geometry sometimes goes totally dark (IE- The lights go out- sometimes a few, sometimes all). I can, however, then undo to before the light (pin light, spot, any of them as an example here) was deleted. The original lighting scheme will come back in preview.

However
, any additional lights then added to the scene will not affect my perspective preview at all, forcing me to light blindly with guess work and having to render out draft after draft to simply see what I’m doing.

2)Repeated view zoom-jump?

When working for extended periods of time, especially on close up work, I really notice this. I’ll be modeling, curving, whatever, and suddenly, without me touching any hot-keys or accidentally clicking the mouse (in other words, sometimes my hands are even off of everything) the view port will suddenly zoom/ jump in a few ticks. We’re not talking an F zoom, but like a little glitch jump.

There are my questions. Hope someone may have some input. Once again,

Thanks everyone for any feedback

Travis user added image

Last edited by TravisCowsill; 12-10-2011 at 08:52 PM.
# 2 12-10-2011 , 09:17 PM
Lifetime Member
Do you have any third party scripts installed maybe its a weird bug in them. Sometimes using Mmmm tools the autoback function will cause random things like that to happen. I noticed it when the settings were saving to much.

Jake

# 3 14-10-2011 , 06:09 PM
Hey all.

I actually troubleshot this online. It seems that because of my CPU and graphics card weakness, anything more than 6 lights go dead in my perspective panel view.

Thanks though for all who tried to help out.

# 4 14-10-2011 , 06:47 PM
Lifetime Member
real time render always consume graphics card memory. you can use the option of use selected lights whenever you are working with more than 3 or 4 lights. And sudden jump in viewport is due to , graphics card problem, over heat in CPU and memory parity error.

# 5 14-10-2011 , 07:07 PM

real time render always consume graphics card memory. you can use the option of use selected lights whenever you are working with more than 3 or 4 lights. And sudden jump in viewport is due to , graphics card problem, over heat in CPU and memory parity error.

Thanks man. Appreciated.