Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 29-10-2011 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber

Buzz Modelling Problem

Hey All.

These days i tried to go on with my buzz lightyear model. I had a lot problem with fur rendering so i ll play with coyote later..

Can anyone give me some idea how to change the chest topology? I need to bevel the edge of the chest shield. Its a pretty funky model, if you try to insert edge loop/split poly it makes an edgeloop like a helix user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-10-2011 , 09:06 PM
The thin red line
Try merging verts on that part set at .001 that might be the problem.........dave

# 3 29-10-2011 , 09:20 PM
Acid44
I looks like these edges are the problem, if I'm right in thinking you're trying to go around the outside of the model. Circled the areas in red and the blue is how I'd fix them (Of course without really being able to see around the whole thing, so adapt as you will)

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 29-10-2011 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber
thx dave 4 the fast reply.
no problem with unmerged verts. If you see some unfinished edge, is cause i try to solve the problem user added image
the geometry is my problem. If you start to make an edgeloop > you ll end up 1 face above you should.
The 2red dot re the two end of the orange line. they re top of each other.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 29-10-2011 , 09:27 PM
Subscriber
Hey Acid user added image
Really nice 190E by the way..
I tried what you linked on the 1st picture & did not work really.
when i try to smooth the model & has some bumps.
I tried really hard but maybe i want to see something what does not exist user added image

# 6 29-10-2011 , 09:28 PM
Acid44
Am I right in assuming that the green is what happens when you put in a loop?

If so I'd say to just play with the edges around where the extrusion goes up to the shoulder before/after adding the loop (I'd do it after, but if before works for you, have at it) until you get the result you want, shouldn't take all that long to get it right since it seems like a small area causing the issue

If you want you could upload a .ma of that part, then I could play with it and see if I can work it out

Thanks by the way user added image

# 7 29-10-2011 , 09:34 PM
Subscriber
thx guys. i solved it. I tried to hide the not so good looking parts back user added image

# 8 29-10-2011 , 09:44 PM
Acid44
Cool, glad to help (even if I didn't help much) user added image

# 9 30-10-2011 , 06:53 AM
Lifetime Member
Interesting joey......will you texture this model?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 30-10-2011 , 03:57 PM
Subscriber
Hey Bullet!
Yes I ll. I want to finish him nicely. Make stickers on the body/jet & the head texture. Not sure if there were any eye-catching map on the leg chest hand parts...