Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-11-2011 , 04:58 PM

Caustics not showing on mia_material (glass like bubble)

Hello, I have a scene that I am working on. I am working with parti_volume for a mist fog effect to set you up. I have an object within the stream of foggy mist emitting from the spotlight successfully. It is also a bubble type object that is supposed to be in the beam of light. So I thought I'd create a mia_material and apply to this bubble floating in the steam and throw caustics on all I get is a black screen. Turn caustics off and I see the object again and everything is fine. I tried to link the light to the mia_material and turn caustics back on with no luck. Anyone have an idea what I am overlooking? Oh and tuned auto-volume on and off with the same result. Surely it could be done?

Thanks for help. Intermediate level.

CG_1 is with the mia_material applied but no bubble transparent effect - Ideally would like to have it with caustics....This wine glass reflecting the purple light.
CG_2 is a blinn that I made but I know the mia_material has more depth and properties.

Attached Images
# 2 03-11-2011 , 06:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
That looks like a ribbon protein model in a space-filling model. Sorry, I'm not too good with caustics yet.

# 3 03-11-2011 , 07:56 PM
You guessed right. I have been playing about trying to get a good jellyfish effect. Right now I just have the mia_material applied to it. Going to try a few things more to be able to have the caustics with the light. I'm still looking though.