Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-11-2011 , 06:15 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

Vegetation

Hey so got some Advice from one of the site's members called the Duke on a forum that talks about grass and trees in 3d and how to render them realistically. so after days of research and going through the pages this is what I have come up with so far. I need my grass to look as realistic as possible so any tips and tricks that you think may help please post away

I created the grass with maya paintfx then converted it to polygons. Because of the high poly count I ended up using mr proxy so any advice on how I might make this Image better

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-11-2011 , 07:42 PM
Gamma Correction? Shadersetup? Texturevariation...depends maybe on your needs but I have 4 different leaftextures in my shadernetwork. You maybe want transparency and translucency on your grass. But actually it does not look that bad. Are you using mib_binaryproxy?

# 3 07-11-2011 , 08:13 PM
The Nurb Herd
i agree gamma correct.
also, maybe paint out the boat on your background, line up your camera better so you cant see the edges of the poly plane. Adjust your FG settings to get rid of the blotches.
I like it. how long was the render? i guess that method would be best suited to still frames?

# 4 07-11-2011 , 09:34 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Murambi: Link???

# 5 08-11-2011 , 06:36 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

Gamma Correction? Shadersetup? Texturevariation...depends maybe on your needs but I have 4 different leaftextures in my shadernetwork. You maybe want transparency and translucency on your grass. But actually it does not look that bad. Are you using mib_binaryproxy?

Used mr_proxies, switched to mip_binaryproxy and the ram usage went extremely down. Will do a few more tests then post later in the day

i agree gamma correct.
also, maybe paint out the boat on your background, line up your camera better so you cant see the edges of the poly plane. Adjust your FG settings to get rid of the blotches.
I like it. how long was the render? i guess that method would be best suited to still frames?

Took 1min 36 sec on my i7 980x. I will adjust the fg setting for the final shot as this are just test renders

Murambi: Link???

Here is the link has like 67 pages but its worth it I really think simplymaya should do a tutorial on this because Its not information that you can easily come by https://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...2&page=1&pp=15

# 6 08-11-2011 , 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Proxies can be pretty awesome, seeing RAM usage drop to nothing is so sweet. Apart from the FG blotches the lack of bounce light isn't helping to sell the image. How are you going about your linear lighting?

- Genny
# 7 08-11-2011 , 01:11 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
There are no textures just multiple Ramps for the grass. Should I gamma correct those I didnt think it was necessary or even possible

Last edited by murambi; 08-11-2011 at 03:14 PM.
# 8 08-11-2011 , 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
The conclusion I've come to is that any color that's not at full saturation needs gamma correction.

- Genny
# 9 08-11-2011 , 04:07 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Hey Guys does anyone have any experience with mia_exposure_photographic Its really kicking my ass...Im getting flat renders when I use it instead of mia_exposure simple

# 10 08-11-2011 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber
I use it sometimes.
What i do is to crank up the cn2 factor until you see something, then tune it as you would do with a real reflex camera (shutter,f number, film iso). The other settings are kind of color correction, and the gamma that you have to correct in every texture, not in the lens shader.

this render is using it:

https://features.cgsociety.org/newgal...0602_large.jpg

In the maya documentation there is an article called "Camera- and Exposure Effects" that explain nicely how to use it. It is in the mental ray for maya architectural guide, in the mental ray section.

Last edited by taquion; 09-11-2011 at 01:08 AM.
# 11 08-11-2011 , 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Guys does anyone have any experience with mia_exposure_photographic Its really kicking my ass...Im getting flat renders when I use it instead of mia_exposure simple

Try boosting the color burn a bit.

- Genny
# 12 09-11-2011 , 08:56 AM
Some things you have to remember when using the mib_binaryproxy: ALWAYS switch to raytrace instead scanline, ALWAYS use BSP2. Thats the most significant powerboost ive seen so far. I have made tests with a grass area about 150m x 80m and there were about 28000 grasspatch-proxies there and rendering with scanline or without BSP2 is just impossible...but with the correct settings it rendered in 20minutes for a resolution in almost 5k!
The exposure photographic is a b*tch but I use it everytime. Although I dont understand quite the difference between the arbitary mode and the photographic, since the cm2 setting simply does not make sense to me...however the entire node is better to understand and to compare with realworld photography as the gain, pedestal stuff, imho!

For exterior try a cm2 of 10.000 ISO 100 shutterspeed 150 and a fstop of 11 or 12...On my needs I sometimes crank up the crushblacks to 1 and play around with the saturation and the burn highlights aswell a bit.