Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-11-2011 , 07:39 PM
Noober than noob

Mental Ray, Maya Software or a mixture of both?

Seems like MR is good at reflecting textures accurately.
MS is good for scenes where there aren't any textures, but those textures can be imitated.
Seems when it comes to reflection and textures, MR renders faster while MS is slow. But when fur is added...(see pics 3 and 4), MR slows down to a crawl, MS renders it at 46 seconds.
So which should I stick with and why? I can see workarounds to MS problem with textures (since I might not be adding too many of them and less likely to happen in reflective environments), but no workarounds to MR's slowness.
MR also doesn't render reflections of fur either with Production settings.

Why does neither of them render the shadows in a reflection though?
I've googled on this topic... Nothing found related to reflection omitting shadows except an unanswered topic somewhere, the user had problems with rendering a ball reflecting into a mirror because the mirror didn't reflect the shadow of the sphere.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 28-11-2011 at 11:29 PM.
# 2 28-11-2011 , 11:45 PM
Noober than noob
Never mind, I've got this.
But now I'll have to figure out how to soften these shadows. O_o

The light is an Area Light. Could this be the problem? Because so far no settings can soften these shadows.

I think I could use Maya Software for reflections that don't need to be too accurate with textures (since it blurs in render) and use Mental Ray for more precise reflections.
So far, Spotlight seems to be the best light for shadows.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 29-11-2011 at 01:42 AM.
# 3 29-11-2011 , 01:54 AM
Super Moderator
I don't know why MR is crawling like that, I don't know how the scene is setup. As for area lights their scale affects their intensity and shadow softness. If you're using MR then you can use the light shape option in the light shape's 'mental ray' section.

- Genny
# 4 29-11-2011 , 11:43 AM
Noober than noob

I don't know why MR is crawling like that, I don't know how the scene is setup. As for area lights their scale affects their intensity and shadow softness. If you're using MR then you can use the light shape option in the light shape's 'mental ray' section.

Well MR is crawling in the following situation: If I add grass (fur) to the plane, MS will render it fast, but MR will crawl due to it.
If there is no grass, MR works faster/better in rendering reflection of texture and shadows (only that the shadows need more adjusting for MR than MS). MS will be slower (though sometimes faster, no idea why) and will mess the textures (as seen in the tree in front of mirror pic and the cube in front of mirror pic)

Scene setup for tree pic:
Cube with blinn, reflective 1.000. Gray colored.
Tree is a paint effect turned mesh, with the tree base being a blinn with no reflectivity and mountain texture.
Light: Area light. Where shadow is not reflected it has Regular Shadow map format with no "Use MR shadow map overrides".
Where shadow IS reflected but its black and hard, the "Use MR shadow map overrides" is checked.
The ground is just another cube with the Mountain texture applied to it over a lambert.

Scene setup for cubes pic:
Small cube: Lambert with a hedgehog bmp texture.
Ground cube: Lambert with a bmp texture.
Gray cube: Blinn with reflectivity 1.000.
Light: Spotlight with shadows on. All I had to do to make the shadow softer was to make the shadow color gray. It instantly is reflected in the mirror whether I use MR or MS.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 29-11-2011 at 11:46 AM.
# 5 29-11-2011 , 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
To be honest I can't remember the last time I used the software renderer so I have no clue why the texture is such a mess in the reflection, however I believe the reason why the fur wasn't showing in the MR render reflection is because 'visible in reflections' was unchecked in the render stats section of its shape attributes.

This render took 1min 1sec using 'production' render preset on a quad core 2.66GHz machine with 8GB DDR2 1066 Ram.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 6 29-11-2011 , 09:08 PM
Noober than noob

To be honest I can't remember the last time I used the software renderer so I have no clue why the texture is such a mess in the reflection, however I believe the reason why the fur wasn't showing in the MR render reflection is because 'visible in reflections' was unchecked in the render stats section of its shape attributes.

This render took 1min 1sec using 'production' render preset on a quad core 2.66GHz machine with 8GB DDR2 1066 Ram.

Try a different texture with more noticeable shapes on the ground and check out the maya software, it probably will make it look messy as well.
Thank you, it now renders the grass too.
It's so hard to pick the fur to get to Fur feedback node... X_X any other way to select it?

Took me a bit longer on my pc using production. (though i still have winamp, msn and a server program running)
I'm on a dual core 3 Ghz with 4 Gb ddr2 and 1 gb video.
Still got to fix the shadow's aspect or change the light type. Still on Area Light.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 29-11-2011 , 10:32 PM
Noober than noob
Fur balls take ages to render with MR. But at least the reflections are accurate. Shadows and all, but takes ages.
I think I'll rely on Software rendering for scenes that don't require accurate reflections and on MR when I need to render something with special effects.

Now I'm really wondering if I should give my characters actual hair or just resort to what the usual animated movie creators do and make the hair out of a mesh unless I'm making fuzzy creatures. How would I control that though or make it look realistic?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 30-11-2011 at 12:20 AM.