Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-11-2011 , 11:25 PM
Subscriber

Christmas's coming = inkling

# 2 29-11-2011 , 12:02 AM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah... can't say I'm sold on it. Of course I don't do that much sketch > digital work yet, so maybe in time it will be awesome, but not yet for me.

# 3 29-11-2011 , 01:14 AM
Acid44
I WANT THAT MORE THAN ANYTHING EVER.

# 4 29-11-2011 , 05:19 AM
It seems to me that it would be more natural way to do a standalone drawing rather then a pad where you are drawing in one place and looking at you monitor to see the image. I get so messed up trying to use my wacom. But it's a really old 4x5 intous 2.

The downside is unless you use the layers feature it is, as he mentions in the video, no different from drawing in your sketch book and then scanning the image.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 29-11-2011 at 05:25 AM.
# 5 29-11-2011 , 10:33 AM
Acid44

It seems to me that it would be more natural way to do a standalone drawing rather then a pad where you are drawing in one place and looking at you monitor to see the image.

Is it really that hard to get used to those types of tablets? I'm thinking about getting a Bamboo soon to try it out, but now that this is out I think it may be more natural, though it looks to me that the Bamboo may be a better choice all around if I could get over the hole not having a proper visual thing

# 6 29-11-2011 , 11:00 AM
I WANT ONE! They do look good, and it looks like the way the layers work would really speed up some of the PS work needed after scanning.
Acid: I have had a tablet for a couple of years now, not a Wacom but a cheaper brand, it took no time at all to get used to and now I find it very easy to draw, colour and sculpt using it, it's a bit like the drawing version of touch typing really.
I guess it's just down to each persons preference. Could you try out someone elses first, might be an idea if you don't want to pay out not knowing if you'll like it or not.

# 7 29-11-2011 , 11:12 AM
Acid44
Don't know a single person with a tablet man user added image What brand is yours? Might be a good idea to start with something cheaper, I'd always thought that the Bamboo was the cheapest you could get

# 8 29-11-2011 , 11:32 AM
yep I agree with Dango. I think it just something you have to use al ot and become used to. I had a friend in California that used it in place of his mouse, he was that comfortable with it. I used to watch him work in photoshop and illustrator and he was really fast and accurate. I think the issue for me is I just don't do enough painting and drawing work to get used to it.

It is just unnatural to be drawing and not looking at where your pen is. I would still love to upgrade to one of the pen and touch pro models but holy cow they are ridiculously expensive. Of course much cheaper then a cintique on which I would get no work done because I'd constantly be cleaning the oil from my fingers off the screen! I freak out when my brother comes over and tries to point at things on my display and gets finger prints on it. lol

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 29-11-2011 at 11:59 AM.
# 9 29-11-2011 , 11:52 AM
Acid: Mines an Aiptek U600 slim, it was only £65 here in the Uk so not too expensive as a test one, it isn't perfect and I've had to get used to its little faults, it has a slight lag every now and again (apparently it can be fixed with drivers but I never got around to finding them), but I got it mostly as it's A4 size. As a cheap tablet it's pretty good, it's lasted a couple of years so cant be all bad.
The only problem is I tried out a smaller Wacom one to see how it was and although a little better in spec, the size was just too weird now I'm used to A4, so I now have to save up for an larger Wacom before I can upgrade....lol

# 10 29-11-2011 , 11:56 AM
yeah that is my main gripe about the intuous 2 I have. 4x5 is really tiny. You can only use your wrist and not your arm as you draw. I like the 6x8 wacom pen and touch but those are almost $400 bucks here in the US.

the only problem then becomes clearing the space on the side of your keyboard for it and a mouse.

# 11 29-11-2011 , 12:46 PM
Yeah, not sure where I'd put a large Wacom if I had one, my Aiptek is so light that I just have it on my lap, but from what I gather the Wacoms are a little heavier.
Also I'd need to have it at an angle as I hate drawing on flat desks, I wonder if they have a stand to prop them up at the back a bit.

# 12 29-11-2011 , 01:42 PM
Lifetime Member
i had a look at the inkling on the wacom site and it appears that you actually draw on standard paper with the pickup sensor at the top of your drawing area. i can imagine that if you are into sketching and drawing, this would be a nice toy to have. the image or images are uploaded to your pc later. there are some limitations. the pen has to be in clear sight of the pickup sensor and the sensor can only cover an a4 area. (and another device with a charger)

ctbram, i also tried using my tablet for modelling, even an older intuos than yours, and my brain and fingers just did not want to cooperate

now, the cintiq is another story. would not mind having one of them user added image

# 13 29-11-2011 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber
I've been using tablets for the past 5 years and I'd strongly recommend it. I used it with 2d software and am yet to use it with Maya, but it can be set up for 3 buttons (tip = right click, middle = left, top = middle)...

Pros:

-If you ever get to work 40+ h a week with a mouse, the chances are that you will develop carpal tunnel syndrome and that never really heals... You don't have to worry about that with a tablet and it's very easy to use, after a day it becomes second nature, I use it for everything (and it's faster than mouse).

-It's invaluable for drawing (unless you can afford a cintiq).

Cons:

- It's not ideal if you have a two-monitors setup. Then the are of the tablet e.g. 6x8 covers 2 wide-screens, so everything you draw is stretched, e.i,: a perfect circle on tablet becomes on oval on the screen. At first it's very award, but you can get used to it.

- You can't play games with it, if that matters to you.

---

I have an older Graphier 4 and bamboo CTH661 and I'd recommend bamboo... It's as professional as you can get and has a nice paper-like texture to it, plus it's inexpensive. I used the big Intuos at work and it's the same thing, the only difference being couple more programmable buttons on the tablet which you never get to use anyway.

---

Between tablet and Inkling I'd go for the tablet 100%. Inkling is cool, but it's more of a toy... You can always draw on paper and scan it. The advantage of Inkling is the alpha channel, so you don't have to clean and separate the lines as you would with the scan. Plus it's only good for concepts. Though it's cool to draw "digitally" away from computer for onceuser added image

Last edited by nov2011; 29-11-2011 at 03:34 PM.