Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 46 16-04-2012 , 06:43 PM
Lifetime Member

# 47 16-04-2012 , 10:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cant win em all eh LOL. Its probably some old fart doing the review.

Still at least its not a remake of a remake or a prequel....some originality left in the world.

Jay

# 48 16-04-2012 , 10:22 PM
Lifetime Member
wow cheesy special effects??? a rodent film? ouch

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 49 16-04-2012 , 10:26 PM
Cheesy LOL, whats cheesy SFX, crap maybe, but where does cheesy stand LOL

Jay

# 50 16-04-2012 , 10:52 PM
EduSciVis-er
Aww, sorry. I'll still see it, it looked pretty entertaining.

# 51 17-04-2012 , 09:11 AM
Dont be sorry, Im not. Thats life in the film business

Jay

# 52 17-04-2012 , 03:06 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, but it still sucks when someone rips on something without being constructive. I guess that's their job. It always reminds me of Ego's monologue in Ratatouille, which is a brilliant piece of writing in my opinion.

# 53 17-04-2012 , 04:09 PM
Yeah I see your point...but critics are not there to be constructive -just destructive LOL

# 54 19-04-2012 , 11:06 AM
I'm not listening to any reviews for a long time now. They rarely apply to my taste of movies. In fact, some of my favorite movies received extremely bad reviews lol.
So I'm still going to see it! user added image

Black Arrow:it was a matte painting, that was done in Terragen 2 but were then projected for rendering within maya on a bloody huge sphere. If I recall the matte was in 4 pieces, thats how big it was.

Jay

Thanks for the answer. user added image
I'm currently working on an outer space environment for my short film. That was a huge help and I'm doing the same now, just with Vue.

# 55 19-04-2012 , 02:51 PM
Lifetime Member
Jay,

I convinced my wife to go see Lock-out with me and we both enjoyed it. I bragged you up the entire time and I am sure she probably got sick of my man crush about it user added image

Anyways good movie, great effects that were nicely done I give it my thumbs up.

- Jake
# 56 19-04-2012 , 03:04 PM
I have not seen it yet but intend too in spite of the reviews. I put little weight in the opinions of movie critics.

As my proof I offer this...

Look at the nominees and the winner of the 50th academy awards in 1978. "Anne Hall" beat the first "Stars Wars" as best picture of the year.

Now I ask you this: How many ****ing times have you had a craving to see Anne Hall since 1978? How many times a year is it telecast on any of the major movie channels? I am just speculating here but I'd wager a pretty good amount the answers, as a limit of this function, would approach zero.

QED user added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 19-04-2012 at 03:10 PM.
# 57 19-04-2012 , 04:52 PM
Jake

dude, thats great Im glad. Well its out here in the UK tomorrow so will see it over the weekend.

hahaha man crush...ya benny!! LOL

Well Ive seen two really good reviews and they have been by the normal guy/vritic and also and audience. Im not expecting anything, I never do so hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Oh the academy suck, but thankfully the Original Star Wars won 7 and shut a few mouths back in the day...but yeah Who the hell are the critics?? just a voice thats full of pretentious crap

I'll be posting some of the models tomorrow evening or the weekend so keep an eye out

Jay

# 58 21-04-2012 , 08:10 PM
Well just saw LockOut....

now I know I worked on it but hey its good fun...doesnt let up...I just didnt think much of the VFX on the opening chase sequence...but then once the models are built and off down the pipeline, its all out of my hands. How ever the space battle stuff looked good for sure. Also the opening chase was edited far far more than I had last seen in that sequence, it was pretty damn fast. I know Luc Besson is ruthless with editing pretty much like George Lucas, if its gotta go, its gotta go. Good film....really witty one liners, Guy Pearce is just great playing the reluctant anti hero, Maggie Grace giving him a hard time too LOL. I read somewhere that it had been compared to Escape from New York...I can see why but generally, no.

My credit was in space by itself and read as Lead Modeller...Jason Edwards. So that was really nice to see. I'm a happy bunny. For me overall, a great experience working away from home, and seeing the how the final film came out wasnt a diappointment, I'd give it 7/10

Jay

# 59 21-04-2012 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
Guy Pearce looked good to me in that trailer.

Your post reminded me.... Something I wanted to ask. How much are you involved in the shader/texture work on your own models. Are all models greyscale when they leave your hands? And do you get any input or insight into the kind of textures and shaders that get applied? I assume the materials aren't your basic blinns or phongs?

Glad you enjoyed the film. Name not just in the credits, but in it's own space too..... user added image ...nice!

# 60 22-04-2012 , 12:02 PM
Lifetime Member
Will have to pop over to Dubai to see this one. I am curious to see the models as well.

My credit was in space by itself and read as Lead Modeller...Jason Edwards.

They actually still show credits? The last time I went to a cineplex the lights came on and movie was stopped after the first 4 seconds of credits.