Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-11-2011 , 12:27 AM

Light shape issue

I'm working on a portfolio piece with a TV.

I'm unsure on how to light the TV's light into the room. First thing came to mind was to use the spotlight.

However, I'm having issues on how to get the shape right. I would mess around with the cone angle, penumbra angle, etc etc. It's not giving me the right effect.

I tried to use the Barn Doors light effect, but it's too "straight".

I tried again with the barn doors effect off, and tweaked a little bit more, and this is what I came up with.

What do you guys think? Too "curved" at where the light starts on the floor from the TV Stand?

Here's several versions.

user added image
Barn doors...not right.

user added image
Cone light

thanks for any help.

I know the light set up is a little wrong for the rest of the scene. I'm thinking about baking an AO map onto the texture of the walls. It's too light by the corners. Is that a good way to go? Lmk

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: oh yeah...ignore the lack of textures on the bed and the chair. :-)

https://deannabono.blogspot.com - My Portfolio Progress. Take a gander. Enjoy!
# 2 17-11-2011 , 12:37 AM
EduSciVis-er
An area light would be the most accurate I think...

# 3 17-11-2011 , 12:39 AM

An area light would be the most accurate I think...

I think I tried that, and it gives me the same look as the barn doors effect. I'll try again though.

https://deannabono.blogspot.com - My Portfolio Progress. Take a gander. Enjoy!
# 4 17-11-2011 , 01:06 AM
EduSciVis-er
You might have more control with the area light vs. spotlight + barn doors.

# 5 13-12-2011 , 05:07 PM
what you can also try is to grab the TVs screen geometry, apply simple lambert shader and map incandecence with the current TV texture. if its animated, turn on "Use Image Sequence" in the texture node. dont forget to turn on FG with mental ray.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 6 13-12-2011 , 05:27 PM
Technical Director
You could also make a shadow-casting object that's the shape of the screen. Have the screen part empty, and the area around (the "catcher"), have blocking geometry. Then put a spot light behind it, so it shoots light out in a conic direction, but bounces back off the card giving you the correct shape of the cone.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.