Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-02-2012 , 06:58 PM

External Image Import

The task I have been attempting for the past few days, and have trolled through multiple tutorials to try and figure out is the seemingly simple task of getting a .tga from my desktop onto my .obj 3D model.

In 3DS MAX, I simply dragged the image from my desktop into the viewer port, and my UV map would fit perfectly around the object, however in this case with Maya it appears to be more complex.

What I was wondering was what were the steps from getting the image off my desktop and onto my model in Maya 2012 Edition.

P.S [It would also be great if I knew how to link the body-parts together as one, as currently the mesh resides in separate portions. I understand how to 'GROUP' objects, but does that meant the actual mesh itself becomes one, or are they just 'grouped' for editing purposes in Maya?

For rigging purposes, I would think it easier to have "one" mesh object as a whole for the out-come product in this case.

# 2 01-02-2012 , 07:03 PM
EduSciVis-er
You need to assign a new material, then load the file into the material in the attribute editor (under texture).

For the combining objects, mesh > combine will turn the pieces into a single mesh, but you might have to sew up the parts depending on how it is constructed.

# 3 01-02-2012 , 10:10 PM
Thank you, this was the little advice I needed to get it going. The mesh is now fully rigged, only one problem left over now, is "ripping" the texture off the mesh as one whole texture so that I can "re apply" it to the object later.