Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 46 13-03-2012 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
yea I'll be texturing it here soon I'm just doing some simple hair tests right now. i know its crappy I'm just exploring it atm since its on my mind and I'm going to need to do it anyway since I'm not working with anyone else on this project and having to do everything. And my mind bounces around a lot when I have multiple things to do and start getting burned out on doing any 1 thing. But as for the hair I really just want to try and get the basics for it down so i can go back to it later and not have to sit there and bang my head against the desk while unsuccessfully do it over and over again. Main reason I was trying it was to see if the model is actually going to look like the character when i do put it on. And that last pic i just did for fun because the hair was all crazy it had no real point anyway :p And shave is not as friendly as i thought it would be at least as far as styling hair goes...

But yes I know I have a lot of things to do before I really delve into putting on the hair. like blend shapes for the face just to name 1 time consuming process...

And that shadows on one was just me turning on mudbox's shadows so details could be seen better, so no i have not started on shadows and lighting yet.

Last edited by MamoruK; 13-03-2012 at 06:36 PM.
# 47 13-03-2012 , 08:53 PM
Subscriber
working on body modeling. I luckily have a friend who's really close to Liz's body type so she modeled for me anyway progress so far. This is actually the first female character I've ever modeled.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by MamoruK; 13-03-2012 at 08:59 PM.
# 48 14-03-2012 , 12:07 AM
Subscriber
quick update before i go to work yes i'm aware of the tri on the upper chest it'll be a 4 sided once i mirror though.

Attached Thumbnails
# 49 14-03-2012 , 10:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dont forget that top shes wearing is squashing her breasts. Dont forget theres a rib cage under the breasts. Might be worth getting some other reference to see how things lay against one another. As at the moment the way youve made it looks like the breasts hang off the collar bone and straight down....

Also looking at the head...the back of the skull is too low from the shots youve posted. Again get some ref of a skull.

I would like to see who you are basing it off....the lips look a little too straight too, they should go 'around' the face and not flat against.

And the hair...dude use curves for better control....save all the crap, this way you can style as needed

have a look at this thread of mine that I did of Audrey Hepburn last year...it was a long journey and even then its nowhere near what I was after.....https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35363

Jay

# 50 15-03-2012 , 06:41 AM
Subscriber
Yea i was just trying out the shave plugin by itself for the hair to see what it could or could not do. I've come to the conclusion i'll have to use curves though.

As for the lips i've got the reference photos for both angles posted earlier in the thread and i've already adjusted the skull height i just haven't posted an updated pic as of yet. Worked a lot on the body today as well i'll post that here in a few.

also how did u do the lashes and eyebrows on your Hepburn model?

Last edited by MamoruK; 15-03-2012 at 06:45 AM.
# 51 15-03-2012 , 07:53 AM
Subscriber
here's what i've got for now

Attached Thumbnails
# 52 15-03-2012 , 01:23 PM
The brows and lashes are done with curves with maya hair attached.

the head is suffering from the broom handle neck effect. The back of the skull is waaaaaay to low as well. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...lsize/9057.jpg

See how the head is forward over the neck and not directly above it.

J

# 53 15-03-2012 , 02:27 PM
With the body, you have a good reference and have matched the shape, but you need to get some more loops going on around the hips join area, under the ribs, arm joins and so on. At the moment most of the body is like a deformed grid. Just look at other mesh models, all these things have been sorted out and you can just use the same poly flows.

I understand you will probably take it into Mudbox but you should still try to get a good poly flow. Everyone has something to say don't they. I think it's coming along really well, you have a nice base mesh that you can fix up.

Have you seen this free app for generating meshes, it's worth looking at just to see their idea of good flow. You probably want to do it all yourself but, otherwise what's the point right?

https://www.makehuman.org/

# 54 15-03-2012 , 07:33 PM
Subscriber
Jay: yea the neck is more because the reference pic i used the head was actually turned to the side instead of a full side view, i planned on rectifying that before i attached the head to the body.

DJ: thanks for that link i'll work on the topography for the body.

# 55 15-03-2012 , 10:42 PM
The thin red line
I would go with what Jay has said also look up examples of topoligy for bodies, you are getting there...........dave

# 56 15-03-2012 , 11:42 PM
Subscriber
updated body, looks a lot better now IMO user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 57 16-03-2012 , 12:42 AM
EduSciVis-er
The arms are needing some shape, and I'm still not sold on the region from collarbone to umbilicus (which doesn't appear to exist yet). Keep going!

# 58 16-03-2012 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber
lol ur right they don't really exist yet and I'm working on the arms now. update was more for main torso.

# 59 16-03-2012 , 09:58 AM

With the body, you have a good reference and have matched the shape,

really?? I dont think the match is quite there somehow, theres alot more work needed - alot more. Sorry if this comes across as harsh, but I'd rather be to the point than gloss someones work and blind them with science. Im no expert on the human body but I can tell you that its not right just yet.

Topology improvement differs from model to model, so copying from someone elses wont necessarily make it right. The best way to do it is use real ref of people as well as muscle groups....look at our topology thread https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24483 see how models differ, study some of the diagrams posted......then make your own assumptions and apply to your work

Jay

# 60 16-03-2012 , 10:27 AM
The Nurb Herd
looks quite boxy to me too. What jay said about the squished boobs hanging off the clavicle is spot on.