Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-03-2012 , 06:12 AM

Insert edge loop freeze up

Something similar to this has happened a few time when I'm inserting edge loops.

user added image

In this case I find that the green interactive edge loops slider thingy just freezes up and won't slide, however when I release the mouse it will have slid to where I last had the curser, so it works and does the job, but I have no interactivity with it. Why does this happen?

# 2 17-03-2012 , 06:25 AM
Solved (I think). Set 'Primary Axis' in the move tool properties to the correct angle the geo is facing. At least that seems to have solved it here.

# 3 17-03-2012 , 06:31 AM
Spoke too soon. Please help, so annoying.

# 4 17-03-2012 , 09:18 AM
It may be that the disk shape I created, derived from a poly primitive cylinder, was never properly dragged out on creation to give it volume (because I only wanted the disk part I wrongly assumed that if you don't drag out it's thickness it is just a flat face of single polygons, but it seems like it still has all the parts that make up a cylinder but squashed flat). Therefore I have been trying to perform operations on doubled up geometry.

That is the only thing that makes sense to me, and when I make a disk by dragging out a cylinder's thickness and then deleting the unwanted polygons, I seem to be able to do the things I wanted with the remaining disk shape.

I thought I was going crazy.

# 5 17-03-2012 , 11:10 AM
Yep, You have to drag out enough depth to delete the sides and other cap or you get laminar and zero surface area faces, which I am guessing was your problem.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675