Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-04-2012 , 10:28 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

RoboCop.....

# 2 16-04-2012 , 10:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
Ah... I thought this was a new WIP thread. Slightly less excited now. user added image

# 3 17-04-2012 , 02:08 AM
19 year Veteran
This is old news to me. Known about this for quite some time. Heard they where going to explain the technology that turned Murphy into robocop this remake. The 1987 one only showed robocop after he was built. It would be interesting to see how robo was built, but not looking forward to a reboot as I kinda grew up with the 1987 version. Paul Verhoven's version will always be my favorite as it centered on character, and not just on FX.

# 4 17-04-2012 , 09:09 AM
Bored....another remake, not interested in any explanation they feel they need to add to justify a remake.

J

# 5 17-04-2012 , 09:38 AM
Lifetime Member
Not another remake? What's next? Spartacus, Gone With the Wind, Back to the Future. Seems like new technologies have replaced new ideas.

# 6 17-04-2012 , 09:45 AM

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 17-04-2012 , 01:54 PM
Love the first Robocop, key 80s movie for me. Will keep an open mind about the remake but don't have high hopes - this trend has to end eventually.

# 8 17-04-2012 , 06:36 PM
Lifetime Member
Have to admit ... I'm getting very, very, very bored of these constant remakes and reboots.

When will Hollywood get some studio execs and screenwriters with some balls?

# 9 17-04-2012 , 08:53 PM
Although I'm a real film geek, I have to ask this. Why do you like it so much, this looks so dated now as its stop motion. Is it purely a nostalgia thing??? I completely respect your opinion and so on but have to ask.

Had quality like this been released now guaranteed we would trash this for bad 'CG'.

I was having a lunchtime conversation with my VFX supervisor today, we were talkng about this very thing of model making, puppets and how we 'remember' how cool stuff used to look, and came to the very conclusion that it doesnt actually when you look at it. Very few films get away with models. A film that sprang to mind was Memphis Belle when one of the planes is ripped in half...at the time we remember it as being soooo cool but when we looked at it on you tube....clearly a model. Its just not as good a you recall it. Yes we are spoilt by good CG these days but we also spoke of the original Star Wars, and I mentioned how I still compare the SFX of the last movie I saw to that set of films...in hindsight Star Wars is absolutely stunning...yeah theres a few rough edges but christ its good and you cant really deny it, even for its age. We also spoke of other blue screened optically composited films that followed Star Wars and Empire, some were out right awful, even back to the future wasnt as clean cut (despite being done at ILM) the effects clearly not up to scratch IMO. Also Superman....yew!! theres a point where he's green LOL. This brings me back to my point, the Robocop stuff looks terrible despite it being newer than Star Wars.

anyway sorry to bang on

Jay

# 10 17-04-2012 , 10:40 PM
19 year Veteran
It's because of the intense action, guns, and gore; however, it's the movies execution of it all is why alot of people like it. You need to look past the dated stop-motion technology and enjoy it for what it's. Robocop was a very smart, and one of a kind movie.

# 11 17-04-2012 , 11:53 PM
Lifetime Member
THX - you've hit the nail right on the head. Whilst the movies visuals haven't dated particularly well, the whole movie package turns out to be one of those seminal movies of its era.

Certainly the sequels were nowhere near as good in almost every respect (although not having Verhoeven at the helm may well have had something to do with that as well).

Kind of like Starship Troopers - the first movie was a superb political movie (and looked good too), but the sequel was a straight to DVD flop.

I'm very much with Jay though on the visuals front - we're spoiled these days with the wealth of visual richness that we get in movies. Generally, with the pre-digital movies, it's a very small number that managed to really pull off convincing models with the original Star Wars trilogy and Aliens being the absolute pinnacle of the art form at the time. These days, the all-digital pipeline makes it much easier to produce visuals that really look real. Mainly because the entire set in many productions these days exists only in the computer.

But all the visuals in the world still can't rescue a shitty story and screenplay.

# 12 18-04-2012 , 01:14 AM
19 year Veteran
Yeah, the sequels really sucked, but Irvin Kershner ( the director of STARWARS:The Empire Strikes Back ) directed the second one. So I'm kinda baffled if second one was what Kershner envisioned, or was it the studio that killed the movie. The 3rd one is not worth even talking about.

Starship Troopers was great in my opinion also. I heard alot about it during preproduction. I never watched the sequels.

The dated visuals for Robobcop don't bother me as much as it does others, but the one scene that I think is the worst is "kenny's" death scene by the ED-209 enforcement droid. The whole scene is static for the most part, and the tiny model they used does not look good for rear screen photography. The gun flash technique they used was comprised of flash tubes, wrapped in colored plastic gel with cotton balls sculpted to look like muzzle flashes.

# 13 18-04-2012 , 01:49 AM

Although I'm a real film geek, I have to ask this. Why do you like it so much, this looks so dated now as its stop motion....

For me Jay it was just that, hokey CG, low budget production values, and the corn ball over the top acting and the satirical jab at corporate greed and political corruption that made the movie entertaining for me and when you look back on it, it now seems almost prophetic.

I ask you, how can I have grown up in Detroit and not cracked a smile at scene where the mayor goes insane and holds himself hostage and as part of his demands wants one of those brand new Pontiac 6000 SUX's?

Did you know there was serious talk about building a Robocop statue in Detroit? haha. It cracks me up just thinking about it. Especially when you consider the movie supposedly takes place in the motor city, that was portrayed as a post apocalyptic hellscape ruled by drug lords, greedy corporations, and corrupt politicians.

It was actually filmed mostly in Dallas TX.

That being said the remake is certainly NOT on my must see list. I mean how can they improve upon this campy classic? Make it serious? I say - Good luck with that.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 18-04-2012 at 01:53 PM.
# 14 18-04-2012 , 08:50 AM
Fair comments guys and I appreciate them all...I was just curious.

To be honest, Im not a fan, Im not a fan of the Paul Verhoven style... it never was even first time round...it never hit the spot. Its not that I need to look past the bad visuals, its just not my thing, like Star Trek is prefered over Star Wars and so on....Maya to max...oh shit better not start that one...again

thanks guys

Jay

# 15 18-04-2012 , 12:27 PM
Subscriber
My biggest issue with cg in movies, Is taht it is slowly killing an artform.
Screen used models are bceommign a thing of the past, and with them th eknowledge to build those models and make them look good. I feel its a shame to lose that talent and art form as a whole. And yes, i realize the hypocrisy of that statement begin as i make a living using 3d programs to rapid prototype models, but a lot of you don't know that i use my hands too, i scratch build just as much as i model in 3d.

Just a shame really. I was a big fan of the Movie Moon because it was done strictly with miniatures.

My thoughts on the matter

George