Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-05-2012 , 10:48 AM
Lifetime Member

Bullets first Spitfire relit

Ok...its NOT perfect...lighting is a real pain. I decided to take a break from making game models for half an hour and relit my very first completed tutorial...Kurts Spitfire. Yes I know I haqve my own Spitfire still coming LOL...unfortunately time is a factor for fun...time I dont have.

Anyway...things have changed and I am getting more confident in learning things...looks a heap better I reckon. So all you noobs...get cracking man....lots to learn and lots of fun...even if it is painful.

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 14-05-2012 , 10:50 AM
Lifetime Member
The AO went a bit nuts LOL

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 14-05-2012 , 11:05 AM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
For some reason the texture is comming across quite dark is it the lighting if not you can play with the colour balance in the texture node...................dave

# 4 14-05-2012 , 11:10 AM
Lifetime Member
yeh I turned the spec and reflection etc down dave...was just a test on the lighting. It does seem dark though...thanks mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 5 14-05-2012 , 12:38 PM
The Nurb Herd
you could change the resolution and do some nicer framing with the camera. user added image

# 6 14-05-2012 , 01:11 PM
Lifetime Member
Cool. Just curious. What is causing that white ghost edge around the shadows and leading edge of the wings?

# 7 14-05-2012 , 02:43 PM
The Nurb Herd
perhaps his AO is not multiplied.

# 8 14-05-2012 , 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
I'm guessing that faint black fuzz in the first image was the AO that messed up but the white fringe persisted through to the second render. It kinda looks like a sharpen filter gone berserk and its having a jarring effect.

The scene could definitely use some secondary bounce light underneath there as the propeller blade are disappearing into the shadows. You could turn on FG or you can do it manually. For starters, I'm thinking lighten and soften the shadows and add a large, extremely weak area light facing upwards just below the ground plane and using light linking to not have the light affect it. That way it looks as if light is bouncing up from the ground and going from there.

- Genny
# 9 14-05-2012 , 11:04 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks guys....and Gen...will try that when I get home. No dom the AO was multiplied but I did it in crazybump...I will redo it in Maya instead...I mustnt have lined it up properly....yeh Gen it is dark underneath. It was a test to see if I had learned anything and to see the difference betwenn when I did it and whether better skill at lighting would improve the shabby model. Will post again later today...thanks all.

Better frame dom?? do you mean a better angle etc?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 10 16-05-2012 , 10:17 AM
Lifetime Member
hmmmmm Maya keeps crashing with MR...seems to be a habit of it...damn.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 11 21-05-2012 , 07:39 AM
Lifetime Member
well this is certainly a challenge Gen......damn lighting is PAINFUL

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 12 21-05-2012 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber

I'm guessing that faint black fuzz in the first image was the AO that messed up but the white fringe persisted through to the second render. It kinda looks like a sharpen filter gone berserk and its having a jarring effect.

The scene could definitely use some secondary bounce light underneath there as the propeller blade are disappearing into the shadows. You could turn on FG or you can do it manually. For starters, I'm thinking lighten and soften the shadows and add a large, extremely weak area light facing upwards just below the ground plane and using light linking to not have the light affect it. That way it looks as if light is bouncing up from the ground and going from there.

Bingo, exactly what I was thinking as I was scrolling down, and...voila, secondary lighting in. Looks much better.

p.s....agreed with Dom also...the framing/cropping, is quite overbearing

Last edited by ben hobden; 21-05-2012 at 08:21 PM.
# 13 21-05-2012 , 10:37 PM
The thin red line
Bullet It looks like to me that your texture size is to small as the text on the side of the spit looks blurred and you bump does not look sharp.............dave

# 14 21-05-2012 , 11:01 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Do you have higher res of the textures. They look abit blurry.

# 15 22-05-2012 , 12:08 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL thanks ben....

yeh its an old model dave Im not worried too much about the textures...dont have time to redo that. All of the maps were the original I made last year.

Thats as high as I can go murambi...the old laptop is a bit tight for power....its a 1k render...if I try to go higher then it dies.

So a slightly better frame would be less Spitfrie and a tad more backround dom and ben.

The main thing with this was the lighting...I needed and still need the practice, difficult stuff.

Cheers bullet

couple more...framed better I hope? and some junk. No AO...laptop couldnt do it

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 22-05-2012 at 01:00 AM.