Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-05-2012 , 05:09 PM

Alternative to Grouping Objects?

Recently, when I need to re-size multiple objects which need to retain their relative distance from each other, I've been grouping the objects. However, I noticed this really screws up my Outliner and keeps me from organizing my scene.
For example, I was building a barn, when I decided that I wanted to make the building bigger in proportion to the objects inside it. If I just selcted the walls/ceiling and scaled them up, they wouldn't be scaled as a group.
Is there another way to scale multiple objects simultaneously? Should I be combining the objects then separating them afterwards?

Last edited by AlienHook; 15-05-2012 at 06:13 PM.
# 2 15-05-2012 , 06:30 PM
Technical Director
You could use a scale constraint.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 15-05-2012 , 07:57 PM
how do i do that?

# 4 15-05-2012 , 08:52 PM
The thin red line
Its in animation, constraints I could not get it to work like a group.............dave

# 5 16-05-2012 , 08:37 AM
Lifetime Member
I group and ungroup often...then when I know Im done I will rename my objects in the outliner. I have just discovered that you can get uniform scale and maintain offsets if you go into the scale tool editor and pick the manipulator as the pivot point...it is a bit crazy because you have to pick an object on 0,0,0 to do it correctly.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes