Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 21-06-2012 , 10:28 PM

Maya is not saving circular fillet

I think this must be some Maya glitch because I add a circular fillet (rounded corner) to my nurbs model but every time I save it and then open it again its gone! Everything else I have done is there all except the circular fillets.

Anyone had this before? It happens every time. I have saved it as a different file and it does exactly the same thing.

I have attached the file. Try adding a circular fillet to the model in the center using the flat surface and the cylindrical surface and then save and open again.

Attached Files
File Type: zip clover_dome_LATEST.mb.zip (11.9 KB, 220 views)
# 2 22-06-2012 , 02:30 PM
Okay, first the file you uploaded has already had the circular fillet applied and the fillet is no longer there so I can not go backwards. What I need in the file BEFORE you do the fillet!

Second, why are you using a circular fillet in the first place? Why not start with a nurbs cylinder and then do a "Edit nurbs > Round Tool"?

Anyway, I cannot reproduce the problem you are having but because you are doing it in a strange way I am still not sure if it is something you are doing or if you have a maya problem.

Also, your version of Maya is the student version so that could have something to do with it. In any event I have to run out for a while when I get a chance I will post something about Fillets vs Rounds and Trims and Trim Convert.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 23-06-2012 , 01:51 AM
I ended up just using the round tool which stays visible when I reopen the file. I'll just avoid using circular fillet for now. I really wouldent think the student version would make any difference as the only difference is the notice when you save and open the file. I'm sure this is just a bug.

# 4 23-06-2012 , 04:19 AM
What version of maya are you using because if it's a bug it has to be something on your system. I use NURBs quite a lot and I can verify that on my windows 7 x64 system circular fillet works for maya 2010, 2011, 2012, abd 2013.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 23-06-2012 , 02:32 PM

What version of maya are you using because if it's a bug it has to be something on your system. I use NURBs quite a lot and I can verify that on my windows 7 x64 system circular fillet works for maya 2010, 2011, 2012, abd 2013.

I'm using Maya 2012 on a mac (snow leopard).