Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 10-07-2012 , 05:21 PM

How do I apply these textures?

I downloaded this model
https://thefree3dmodels.com/stuff/cha...t_2/14-1-0-947
It apparently has all the textures required but I don't know how to apply them properly.
Each part of the body has a few maps, like arm_dif, arm_showroom_ddn, arm_showroom_spec, cell_arm_alpha. I know the dif goes into colour but what about the rest? Tried the spec into the phong specularity but it still doesn't look as it should.
Can anyone help please?

# 2 10-07-2012 , 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Well just simply plugging the textures into a shader won't necessarily replicate what's in the demo image , they have different properties and tweaking them can change from one software to the next. In the case of the standard Maya shaders, the specular highlights are independent of the material's reflectivity, for example. So you have other adjustments to make. If the "cell" texture is the texture I'm seeing on the arm, then you could probably plug that into a bump slot. As for "arm_showroom_ddn", I don't know, maybe give the creator a shout.

- Genny
# 3 10-07-2012 , 09:23 PM

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 10-07-2012 at 09:35 PM.
# 4 11-07-2012 , 01:36 PM
I set up the arms and the body shaders to demonstrate what you need connect....

The shaders are already in the .obj as Nano2:Arm, Nano2:Body, etc.

For the arm and the body there is .dif (diffuse color), and .spec (specular reflection) and .ddn (bump: tangent normal space).

For some of the others there is also .alpha which plugs into transparency.

NOTE1: I have grabbed a screen shot of the arm and body shader setup. Note I deleted all the 2d place nodes as they are not needed.

NOTE2: Also when you apply the dif color it will also apply transparency (because the file is png). Simply break the transparency connection after assigning the color file.

NOTE3: Remember to soften all the normals as the model is imported with all the normals hardened by default. I do this for each part as I go so I have a visual clue what parts still need to be worked on.

Here are some screen grabs to help you see how I assigned the shaders...

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-07-2012 at 01:41 PM.
# 5 11-07-2012 , 01:58 PM
ctbram Omg thanks so much, I finally made it