Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-07-2012 , 08:53 AM

How to trace cut polygons?

I am just starting with Maya and trying to learn it with...sooo much difficulty, there's just so many tools and I never seem to use them right as most wont work for me. ANYWAYS I've created a mesh using sculptris, reduced the polys and imported it into maya to cut off the base and I need to remove the eyes. I've tried cutting out the polys in the eyes but it leave jagged holes and its very hard to do since sculptris is a Polywhore.

Is there a tool im missing where I can trace the shape I want and cut out the polys in the eye? user added image

Also how do I link vertexs? to close up areas when I delete a poly?

user added image

Last edited by Dizzie; 17-07-2012 at 09:13 AM.
# 2 17-07-2012 , 09:03 AM
The thin red line
It sounds like your mesh has to meny polys could you do a wire shot ...........dave

# 3 17-07-2012 , 09:16 AM
Heres a shot of it in sculptris (I've been trying to lower the poly without removing any essential detail I'll need) I've used the lasso tool in maya to cut but it keeps highlighting stuff behind the head as well.

https://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/...shheadpoly.png

Around the eyes it has a very high poly count I was hoping to lower after I got the eye shape cut out.

# 4 17-07-2012 , 11:52 AM
The thin red line
I dont think you are going to be able to do much with that mesh in maya, try modelling from scratch in maya there are a lot of tutorial on this site and others, it will get easier the more you use it............dave

# 5 17-07-2012 , 04:14 PM
It's not likely that you are going to be able to use the sculptris mesh directly in maya. It is going to be to dense and not have the proper topology.

I don't use zbrush or sculptris but you could try to decimate it in those programs first but that will still leave a mesh with really bad topology for maya.

The other option is to retopologize the mesh. Once again I don't use zbrush or scultris so I do't know if you can redraw polys over the top of a mesh. You do it on Maya by making the surface live and then drawing new polys over the top of the live mesh but retopo in Maya SUX ASS!

There are other apps designed for retopo like 3dcoat, topogun, or modo 601 has retopo tools as well.

For an idea of what retopo is about you go to the topogun site and they have lots of videos.

NOTE: there is another option as well, the one Dave suggested rebuilt the model in maya and use the scultris mesh as a 3D reference.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 17-07-2012 at 04:18 PM.