Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-07-2012 , 06:23 PM

scale rigged char

hello. i have a problem. i have made a character, rigged it and only after that realized, that i need it bigger than it is. is there any way to scale all meshes of that character and controls properly?

# 2 22-07-2012 , 06:34 PM
The thin red line
I dont know for sure but could you not group the lot then scale?.............dave

# 3 22-07-2012 , 07:05 PM
no, putting everything in one group doesn'T help.

# 4 23-07-2012 , 02:26 AM
That's always a tough one. And it invariably depends on how your rig is built. Perhaps you could give us some detail on the rig design: is it a skeleton deforming a single mesh, are there objects attached to it? Two warnings:

1) watch out for double scaling (If you've got a cylinder and a smoothbound skeleton in a group and you scale the group, the mesh is scaled once AND the skeleton is scaled, which scales the mesh a second time.

2) any seperate objects may need a bit of extra scaling and positioning before they work correctly

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 5 23-07-2012 , 08:54 AM
i've found the way to scale the char properly. you should scale controllers group and skeleton group, so the mesh will be scaled automatically. but now i have another problem - facial expressions values remained unscaled and vertecies displacement is now too little.

# 6 23-07-2012 , 04:36 PM
if you're using blend shapes you'll probably have to either adjust the scale of the vertices (not the transform) of each and every blendshape target (I learned the hard way never to delete them, just keep 'em hidden and out of the way) or try pushing the blend shape paramaters past 1.0, or maybe the envelope. I know it looks impossible to get values over 1.0 but blendshape does support them.

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 7 28-07-2012 , 07:24 AM
ty, the advice with envelope helped. unfortunately, i couldn't set it greater than 2.

# 8 30-07-2012 , 04:29 AM
I've never tried blend envelopes over 2.0. Interesting that it doesn't support that. But, glad I could help a bit user added image

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer