Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-08-2012 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber

Joint/bone tool question.

I'm trying to draw out my joints but what I get isn't what I've seen in all the tutorials I've been watching. When I draw a joint I don't get a "bone" inbetween the two. The first on gets a small bone with it but it's not attached to anything and always points in the wrong direction. They seem to work fine when I bind and move them in my mesh but I just don't get the connecting bone between any of them. I reset the tool and same thing.

# 2 08-08-2012 , 12:26 PM
post screenshot.

# 3 08-08-2012 , 04:23 PM
Subscriber

post screenshot.

I'll expalin it better. I create two joints and their is no connecting bone between them.

# 4 08-08-2012 , 05:33 PM
are the joints parented in the outliner?

# 5 08-08-2012 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber

are the joints parented in the outliner?

Yes they are.

# 6 08-08-2012 , 07:20 PM
Subscriber

Yes they are.

Here's a pic.

Attached Images
# 7 09-08-2012 , 02:07 AM
in the Attribute editor, check on Joint (under Transform Attributes) > Draw Style. Should say "Bone". That's my best guess. Also, check your camera's clipping plane in the Attribute Editor... there are numerous sources of info on the clipping plane if ya don't know what that is.

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 8 09-08-2012 , 07:32 PM
Subscriber

in the Attribute editor, check on Joint (under Transform Attributes) > Draw Style. Should say "Bone". That's my best guess. Also, check your camera's clipping plane in the Attribute Editor... there are numerous sources of info on the clipping plane if ya don't know what that is.

Yep, its says "bone" I even downloaded a bug fix from autoudesk to see if that corrects the issue but I still get the same thing, no connecting bone. I did a search and found a few others with the same issue and no one seems to be able to fix it. This is just perfect..lol.

# 9 09-08-2012 , 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a pic.

This isn't concerning your problem but if you're on Windows and you want to take a screenshot, there's the `snipping tool` in the start>all programs>accessories rollout.

- Genny
# 10 09-08-2012 , 07:54 PM
I haven't the foggiest then. I've never seen this issue before. And if I were autodesk support, I'd say "are you sure this is actually happening? We don't believe this is possible, so you must be mistaken." user added image

But I'm not Autodesk support.

Sorry to anyone here who is. Just a bad experience or two is all user added image

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 11 09-08-2012 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber

I haven't the foggiest then. I've never seen this issue before. And if I were autodesk support, I'd say "are you sure this is actually happening? We don't believe this is possible, so you must be mistaken." user added image

But I'm not Autodesk support.

Sorry to anyone here who is. Just a bad experience or two is all user added image

LOL.. Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind, because it has. I called autodesk and he walked me through resetting maya to old prefrences through "my Computer" and even making another folder. It is still doing it. Myabe my program was made on a Friday or Monday..lol.