Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-09-2012 , 01:38 PM

IK Spline Issues

Hi

I have been creating a rig for a doll styled character I modeled.

I have rigged the legs, applied an ik handle (note: This character doesn't have traditional feet so I didn't need to design a reverse foot chain.) on them and currently working on a control object for the legs.

The issue that I have is with the IK spline that I am currently building, I used the CV Curve Tool > Curve Degrees set to 1 Linear. Once I had finished re-positioning the curve so it fitted my model I then used the Rebuild Curve Tool to that it would evenal place a total of 6 CV's and then I ran a MEL script that creates a joint on each selected CV. With the six joints (to be bound to the model), I duplicated them scaled them down a little and then renamed them as joint drivers. I parented the joint drivers so that the chain was going from A (at the bottom) working its way up to F (the neck line).

user added image user added image user added image

I use the IK spline tool Animation > Skeleton > IK Spline Handle Tool (options) > I turned off the Auto create curve, also I turned off the Auto Parent Curve. Then with the IK spline handle I select the joint driver A, Ctrl click Joint driver F and finally Ctrl click the cSpl spin01 curve. Here is when I come to my problem, when I apply the IK Spline Handle the order of my parented joints Drivers flips, so A becomes where the neck is and F is where at the bottom of the model.

user added image user added image user added image

Any help and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

# 2 13-03-2014 , 03:20 AM
You've drawn your initial spline curve in the reverse direction. Just go into component mode, select all the control vertices and rotate the chain 180 degrees on the Z axis.