Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 13-10-2012 , 01:37 AM
Okay here you go. Sorry I forgot my system takes a while to encode the video because I don't have my 16:9 monitor running currently. It might be a few more minutes before the hidef is fully encoded on youtube.

https://youtu.be/tBuOSlJFD4M

UPDATE:

I realize I could have added the suport edges more efficiently then using the cut faces tool and then merging the verts and deleting edges at the corners.

I could have deleted the diagonal edges, then added the support edges with the the cut faces tool and final just redrawn the diagonal edges and save the delete edges operation. Likewise on the final version. There are always lots of ways to do the same thing but finding ways to shave a couple key strokes multiplied by an entire model can add up to a big time saving, so it's always a good idea to seek the most efficient way to work. In a real world situation I'd have taken full advantage of symmetry as well.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 13-10-2012 at 03:32 AM.
# 17 13-10-2012 , 11:48 AM
Thank you so much, you've been extremely helpful. Wasn't expecting a video!

I didn't realise that you could fix the 'bridge' operation with offset, I was doing every other one manually and then using 'fill hole'

Just another question, on this particular model I haven't been modelling with smooth mesh because I was concerned the poly count would be too high, since there are lots of little pieces. I've modelled smooth mesh before, and then done smooth mesh preview -> polygons so that I can 3D print or render. Is it better to switch between smooth mesh preview to check the model and is it better to model, and carry out the conversion, is there a way to keep the polys low in that conversion?

# 18 13-10-2012 , 12:29 PM
The thin red line
I think you have gone the right way with your model that you have not smoothed it, smooth preview is like smoothing with polygons twice when you render, if you have a part that is more organic then it makes sence to smooth.................dave

# 19 13-10-2012 , 01:47 PM
For hard surface stuff that is very angular like the model you are building there is really no need to smooth especially if your goal is to use stereo lithography (3D print). You will produce a much lighter model and should you need to render and have edges that look more natural beveling will be enough.

I was just pointing out that for models you plan to smooth or texture that quads and topology become more important and how there are ways to improve topology even if it is quads.

Hopefully that helps.

Rick

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 13-10-2012 at 01:51 PM.