Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-11-2012 , 01:27 PM

2d Fractal Artifact In Camera Animation

Hello everyone, I'm working on this scene which has this 2d fractal applied as bump. Now the thing is that whenever the camera moves the fractal is causing some artifact (Not staircase but like an ant crawling).

I've tried using Convert To File Texture option but it wont retain the bump map scale as per my liking. But it does help to stop the artifact.

Basically what I'm trying to achieve is irregularity in wall. So I've set the fractal to crisp like but suggestions on other means of achieving the same is most welcome.

I'm attaching the video as well as the fractal node itself for your reference. Please open the maya file through Hypershade import .

Any help would be great. Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: zip Fractal Noise Artifact.zip (590.5 KB, 175 views) File Type: zip Fractal_Hypershade Import.zip (1.1 KB, 190 views)
# 2 10-11-2012 , 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
If you baked out the bump and used elliptical filtering, is it still a problem?

- Genny
# 3 11-11-2012 , 04:04 AM
Hi Genny, Actually if I go baking with "Convert To File Texture" option. Then the bump output does not remain crisp. However it will eradicate the problem I'm having now. I had gone far converting the bump upto 4k but still it would not retain the crispness of the bump, which means I need to take it higher I guess?? But I don't want to.

So I was looking some suggestion on the 2d fractal node itself. Anyway I think the solution for me is to use mental ray "Batch Bake" option. I was just testing it the other day and as my scene involves just a camera animation it would be fine.

I've tried seeking help on other forum too but yet no solution.

Anyway Thanks. user added image

Here's with the fractal node applied to a plane and a camera animating over it.

Converted To File Texture-Expectation
user added image

2d Fractal Node- Reality
user added image

Last edited by zestken; 11-11-2012 at 05:10 PM.
# 4 11-11-2012 , 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Take that sucker to Photoshop!

- Genny
# 5 11-11-2012 , 05:13 PM

Take that sucker to Photoshop!

Hehe Yup meanwhile the only option untill I learn some texture painting.

Thanks

# 6 11-11-2012 , 06:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Have you tried to assign a constant value to the input time connection of the fractal node? It is not visible in the attribute editor but is visible in the connection editor.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 7 12-11-2012 , 01:44 AM

Have you tried to assign a constant value to the input time connection of the fractal node? It is not visible in the attribute editor but is visible in the connection editor.

I've no idea how to do that and how it is suppose to help me. Please give me more details about it.

Thanks.

# 8 12-11-2012 , 05:32 AM
Lifetime Member
I am trying to eliminate any inputs that can cause the fractal node from being an animated node which can possibly cause the effect that you are seeing in your animation.

I tried to recreate the effect last night. I created a simple poly plane, assigned a new lambert to it with a 2D fractal plugged into the bump and color, added one spotlight to the scene and animated the camera over the plane. For the life of me I could not get the pixels to "drift". Can you share the fractal and material settings you are using?

# 9 12-11-2012 , 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

I am trying to eliminate any inputs that can cause the fractal node from being an animated node which can possibly cause the effect that you are seeing in your animation.

I tried to recreate the effect last night. I created a simple poly plane, assigned a new lambert to it with a 2D fractal plugged into the bump and color, added one spotlight to the scene and animated the camera over the plane. For the life of me I could not get the pixels to "drift". Can you share the fractal and material settings you are using?

Was it a very high contrast high frequency fractal?

- Genny
# 10 12-11-2012 , 06:58 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Genny Yes, it is almost just pure black or white. The only way I so far could get any flickering was with FG enabled or with a very reflective material where specular highlights move around.

# 11 12-11-2012 , 08:19 AM

Yup you can download the exact node Here. Just Import it in Hypershade.

My scene setup is simple with just the 2d fractal applied to a plane in a new scene and a camera animating over it. That's all.

Please if you could test it one more time. It will be very helpful. Thanks

# 12 12-11-2012 , 08:29 AM
Lifetime Member
Got it. Busy rendering.

# 13 12-11-2012 , 06:04 PM
Lifetime Member
The levelMin and levelMax values are the culprit for the animation flickering. The values are very high so the the fractal is returning a very detailed image. Your problem is in essence the same as using a hi-res image with lots of detail for a relative small amount of screen pixels. You get flickering.

https://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/...t=Fractal3.mp4

I baked the fractal out to a 8K texture and used it instead of the fractal node. Without applying any filtering on the texture the result was exactly the same. The only way I could get rid of the flickering was to apply filtering at the cost of detail.

Question for the animation gurus here, how does one get rid of the flickering but retain the detail.

# 14 13-11-2012 , 02:08 AM

The levelMin and levelMax values are the culprit for the animation flickering. The values are very high so the the fractal is returning a very detailed image. Your problem is in essence the same as using a hi-res image with lots of detail for a relative small amount of screen pixels. You get flickering.

https://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/...t=Fractal3.mp4

I baked the fractal out to a 8K texture and used it instead of the fractal node. Without applying any filtering on the texture the result was exactly the same. The only way I could get rid of the flickering was to apply filtering at the cost of detail.

Question for the animation gurus here, how does one get rid of the flickering but retain the detail.

Thank you so much for trying this out. I didn't go above 4k while baking the fractal node so I thought there was some problem with the fractal node itself.user added image