Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 31-12-2012 , 07:52 PM

Help with finding rigs

Hello!

You may notice this is my first ever post, this is because i need some help with finding rigs for a college project. I have downloaded Maya student, and i am mildly familiar with the program.

I am looking for a power drill rig. Preferably a freeware power tool drill. I acquire it for my project which is to make an animation with horror in it, and the drill is the most important piece.

Also, please be very basic with me, and patient, as i do not understand a lot about Maya.

Hope you can help. Thanks

Sabman

# 2 31-12-2012 , 09:59 PM

# 3 01-01-2013 , 03:06 PM
Thanks mate

I like the look of the Hitachi as well. So how would i get that sketchup file to work in maya

# 4 01-01-2013 , 05:46 PM
You would use sketchup (which is free) to export DAE. I have done this in the past for size referencing. There is a plugin from simLab but it costs money and no one wants that.

# 5 01-01-2013 , 05:49 PM
oh right, i dont want to download sketchup, as my computer will explode if i add anything else to it. Is there a way of having a MB file Drill rig?

# 6 01-01-2013 , 08:54 PM
So a 40 mb program is too big for you? Hmmm, that makes little sense since you want to be exporting clips that will be much more. The other option being coughing up some money and getting the plugin. You should probably try and do this workflow instead of wasting another day. Instead of saying your computer will explode how about we stay in the realm of reality. You look on the hard drive and see what can be dumped or traded off to a drive and make room. Then you can uninstall sketchup when done.

Last edited by Chavfister; 01-01-2013 at 08:57 PM.
# 7 03-01-2013 , 03:43 PM
Now, now. Lets be reasonable here.

All i need is a drill, a simple Maya rig. I asked this forum for a downloadable ready made drill, i don't wish to go along and download this, that, and every other piece of software, then be given the option to buy a piece of material i will only use once in a lifetime. All i ask of you sir is to give me a link to a website that has a freeware drill rig that i can just extract and pop into Maya. I got two human rigs off creative crash for free, that wasn't so hard, i didn't need to download anything for that did i?

Now if you do not wish to help me with what i actually want, and are going to tell me to do things of which i didn't really want to do then please pass me onto another colleague. Alternatively, you can be helpful, (which is the whole reason why your here, and why this lounge was created), and help me.

Thankyou

# 8 03-01-2013 , 04:03 PM
The thin red line
What sort of drill oil rig, hand drill or some thing else, please remember that member give there time here for free, it may be that you will have to rig the drill yourself that should not be that hard you could ask your lecturer that is what he is there for...............dave

# 9 03-01-2013 , 08:55 PM
Yeah, i understand, i thank you for going out of your way to help me, i really appreciate it. I wanted to do finish my animation in my holidays, to free up some time so i can complete other projects.
I would just like a power drill, the thing you make holes with. Actually it would be better for me for it not to have moving parts, just need to be maneuverable so i can place it into the characters hand.

# 10 04-01-2013 , 12:42 AM
The thin red line
I have looked around the net and there is every little for this you might have to model this your self....................dave

# 11 04-01-2013 , 01:09 AM
Really? I told you exactly what to do. There is the dae file which took a minute to export out of sketchup which was 34.1 mb. I gave you the answer to your entire problem. All of it. And as a final solution you can parent constrain the drill to your IkFK arm and then blend based on the positioning.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Files
File Type: zip Hitachi.zip (967.5 KB, 229 views) File Type: zip HitachiMB.zip (821.5 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by Chavfister; 04-01-2013 at 02:19 AM.
# 12 04-01-2013 , 02:41 PM
Thankyou, that's great. But there's an error.

I've extracted the file and every time i try to open it in the output window i get:

Maya binary file parse error: : (6) corrupted file structure

What does this mean, and what do i need to do to fix it?

# 13 05-01-2013 , 03:39 AM
Google that error and you will see the problem and what it means. This is why I included both the DAE and the MB in the attachments.

# 14 05-01-2013 , 01:16 PM
Cant you just make life easy for a newbie and just explain it?

# 15 05-01-2013 , 01:56 PM
Lifetime Member
Which version of Maya are you using? I suspect the mb version which Chavfister supplied is for Maya 2013. You will need 2013 to open it. You can always create a new scene and import the dae file.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.