Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-01-2013 , 10:51 PM

UV Mapping Help - Viewer Looks OK, Render Not-So-Okay

Hey All,

So I've exhausted all thoughts and turned to you all for help. I am trying to texture this Violin. It is a pre-made model .fbx with UV textures already created. There is a diffuse, glossy and reflection pass and I am using a mia_material_x shader. When i load each texture into their respective locations, everything looks great in the object/viewer mode.

But when I render, it tiles.

I've uploaded some photos to show my results.

Any suggestions?

**some other potentially useful info. Running Maya 2013. The model and textures were originally for vray (i am using them with Mental Ray instead) and I am a newbie when it comes to UV maps.

**Oh and I have already tried increasing the coverage on the place2dTextures, and yes it does make them larger, but it very inaccurate and I feel that, and I could be wrong, that that is not a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 2 11-01-2013 , 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
What do your shader tree and file texture attributes look like?

- Genny
# 3 11-01-2013 , 08:29 AM
The thin red line
Could you upload your file so we can have a look...............dave

Edit:Look to see how meny UV sets you have I think you might have more then 1 witch could be the problem

Last edited by daverave; 11-01-2013 at 08:49 AM.
# 4 11-01-2013 , 08:56 PM

Shader Tree and Attributes

Hi Gen, thanks for taking a look at this. I've uploaded some more photos as requested.
There is the shader tree for the mia_material_x and it's corresponding attributes in the editor.
I placed the diffuse pass in the DIFFUSE>COLOR
I places the reflection pass in REFLECTION>COLOR
and the glossy pass in the REFRACTION>GLOSSINESS (perhaps not where is should be?)

The other images are for the diffuse pass and its other parts - The Projection, the File and the Project2d

Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 5 11-01-2013 , 09:44 PM

FIXED and not sure Why

Hey GEN and DAVE,

Thanks for you interest and comments so far. So I decided to open the project on another system, re-create my shaders and now it all works. The settings seem to be the same across the board, but one yields good results and the other, not so good.

It's strange, I applied a temp texture to a blinn, and before it was even tiling that, now this time, it's perfect. So I applied the diffuse pass to the violin using a blinn and that now worked too. Then I applied that to a mia_material_x and slowly added the glossy and reflection passes and they all worked too.

Again, not sure why one system works and the other doesn't, but thanks again for both of your interests in my UV conundrum.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 11-01-2013 , 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
I really want to believe it has something to do with those projection nodes but without looking at the scene file I can't really say for sure, it could be the other machine was using prefs that didn't create projection nodes by default. Anyways, its good that you got that sorted. And you could try plugging the gloss map into the reflection gloss channel instead of the refraction gloss, this is more practical for a surface that isn't transparent and I'm assuming you want the surface smoothness to vary some.

- Genny
# 7 12-01-2013 , 01:27 AM

Good Call

Hey Gen,

I think you are right about the projection nodes. I was looking at the shader tree from the other machine and there are projection nodes and 3d placement nodes that were created automatically when I began creating the shader.

Looking at my new shader library tree, you'll notice only the place2dtexture>File>Material. (no place3dtexture or projection nodes)

Anyways, a good lesson to learn and troubleshoot.

Oh and I took you up on your suggestion about adding the glossy into the reflection instead of the refraction and I like better! Thanks for the tip for I am still learning to navigate all these passes properly.

Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 12-01-2013 , 02:28 AM
Super Moderator
You can tell Maya to create normal 2D textures instead of projections(probably changed it by accident?), in Hypershade go to Create>2D Textures>2D Normal. Depending on the look your going for the gloss map could just as easily be plugged into the reflectivity channel instead, as blurring reflections can ramp up render times significantly but of course that depends on what look you want. Also just a heads up, passes mean something entirely different in Maya and similar programs for that matter so referring to textures/maps as passes could cause some communication issues down the road. Hope the project goes well, if you have any questions, ask away. user added image

- Genny
# 9 12-01-2013 , 01:40 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Glad the shder is working but just one small error you have there that Im surprised wasnt picked up. Either your UVs need flipping or the normals do on the model, hence the reason your numbers on the uv map are backwards, never a good sign and a dead giveaway something needs fixing out of these two possibilities

Jay

# 10 12-01-2013 , 01:51 PM
The thin red line
Yes Jay I thought about the UVs needing flipping but I did not see why in veuw port it would look OK but not when you renderd ituser added image...........dave

# 11 12-01-2013 , 06:06 PM
But it doesnt look right in viewport or render, so its normals and/or uvs

Jay

# 12 12-01-2013 , 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Glad the shder is working but just one small error you have there that Im surprised wasnt picked up. Either your UVs need flipping or the normals do on the model, hence the reason your numbers on the uv map are backwards, never a good sign and a dead giveaway something needs fixing out of these two possibilities

Jay

I knew there was something I forgot to add and I later waved it aside as I just couldn't remember. Good looking out Jay.user added image
----------------

Doogalson, double checking normals will save you some confusion and headaches. Personally, I like working with my UVs shaded in the UV Editor, so I can easily know what's flipped or overlapped.

- Genny
# 13 14-01-2013 , 07:50 PM

Yup

Yup, you were right on Gen. In hypershade, instead of Create>2D Textures>2D Normal, I had 2D projection selected! Thanks again.

**Edit**

Forgot to mention about terminology. I come from a compositing back ground (nuke) and it's good to know that my terms can be misinterpreted. Another good lesson to learn as I try to scratch the surface into the maya world!

Last edited by doogalson; 14-01-2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: adding extra comment
# 14 14-01-2013 , 07:52 PM
Thanks to you too Jay on picking up on my normals being flipped. I also should have picked up on that right away. i guess I was too focused on figuring out my tiling problem.

# 15 14-01-2013 , 09:47 PM
thats okay mate, we can all get lost in it sometimes. Glad to help

Jay