Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-02-2013 , 04:22 PM

Newbie question: Make polygon cube with visible faces.

I'm quite new to Maya and 3d modeling in general. I have tried to use a few tutorials in order to get a better grasp on things, but I do not have any real knowledge about it yet.

I tired to create a polygon cube in accordance with one of the tutorials I'm following. What I wanted was something similar to this:

user added image
(Random picture from google.)

However what I ended with creating was only the outline of the cube, while the faces of each side remained transparent. This makes it rather hard to see what lines belongs to the cube and what are part of the underlining mesh in the background. Here is how it appears at my computer:

user added image
(Screen capture taken by me.)

I have tried to look through the various menus to see if there is anything to check to make it appears like desired, but I haven't found anything. I guess there is something really obvious I'm missing ... Still, I need help to find it. user added image

# 2 06-02-2013 , 04:32 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hit 5 to enter shaded mode. Just keep doing tutorials and you'll get there bit by bit user added image

# 3 06-02-2013 , 04:33 PM
The thin red line
You can press the "5" button or use the icons in the panel................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 06-02-2013 , 05:12 PM
Thanks. That was both simple and working. user added image