Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 26-02-2013 , 03:04 AM

Can't Import Audio-- Weird Error

First of all, I apologize for posting about something so amazingly basic but I've done a lot of snooping around and nothing helpful has turned up.

I installed Maya about a week ago. I'm trying to import an audio track to an animation, but when I select the file to import I get this error:
// Error: The renaming prefix '' contains no legal characters.
Run of the mill Googling has informed me that this is normal when an imported file is named only with numerical characters. Only, the track is named "hadThatComing". The same thing has been happening when I try to import a rig (also with legal characters in the name) to to a scene.

Are my import settings messed up or something? I'd be so relieved if somebody knew a solution to this.

# 2 27-02-2013 , 04:03 AM
Ugh-- I figured it out. It's amazingly basic but I figured I'd post the solution in case anybody needs it down the road.

-Click the box next to "Import..." under the "File" menu
-Under "Name Clash Options", make sure that "Use namespaces" is checked
-Resolve "All nodes" with "the file name"

Before I changed this, Maya was resolving name clashes by assigning the file a number instead of a name. I don't know why there's an option to assign a numerical name to a file if Maya knows it's just going to end up confusing itself but there you have it.