Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-01-2013 , 09:03 PM
Subscriber

Mongolian Ger

I am a big fan of central asian history, and recently watched the Cave of the Yellow Dog which gave me the insperation for this!

I found this site that has a calculator to workout the amount of poles etc that you need to make one of these wonderful nomadic homes user added image I have noted a few errors where it doesnt take a few things into consideration such as the width of the door when calculating the wall (khana) and will use it as a base to help get it as correct as possible and will maybe make a scene for it once complete.

Sorry about the dodgy screenshots will post some proper wip renders when ready.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by dustykhan; 17-01-2013 at 09:36 PM.
# 2 30-01-2013 , 11:26 PM
Subscriber
After not as much time as I would like working on this, this is my current progress...
I haven't positoned the roof poles as of yet and they still need some work done on them. They are all instances so I can easily modify them at a later date.

I would really appreciate any feedback, help and suggestions user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 31-01-2013 , 02:50 AM
Lifetime Member
good start
2 things ....
1. how did you model that hinge? especially curious with the pin section (hollow cylinders attached to poly plane?)
and 2. the door framing is too tall for the structure,
the top of the door is called a header, and supports all the structure above the open door,
there wouldn't be anything intruding into it as it would weaken the overall support of the structure
(you currently have the roof poles intruding into the door header)

will be interested in seeing your texture scheme too, once you get that far user added image

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired
# 4 31-01-2013 , 08:58 PM
Subscriber
To create the hinge I started with a polygon cube and cut into it the screw holes. I then created a pipe with 5 subdivisions, deleted the unnecessary faces that create the three and two clasps that go around the pin, and then merged with the poly cube. The pin itself is just a cylinder with both ends extruded out. I have attached a couple of wire frames, but as you can see, I have two loops that cut around into the screw holes so when smothed go to a slight point, which I am unsure how to fix....

I do still need to position all the roof poles as you noted they are intersecting into the door frame and they also need aligning with the lattice positions.

As for texturing it, I still have the felting to ceate before hand, which is going be a challenge along with the texturing, but I have found some great image refs for some traditional patterns you see on the door and roof poles.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 04-02-2013 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
After experimenting a little I decided to take the easier route with the rope and give it its detail through a texture which I have yet to do.

Progressing slowly but surely....

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 06-02-2013 , 08:58 AM
Subscriber
I am having a hard time, getting the knot to look correct/secure, looking at the images above it looks like they would just slip apart. Does anybody know of any good tutorials or have any good tips into creating knots...?

# 7 06-02-2013 , 03:03 PM
The thin red line
Have you got any references for the knot................dave

# 8 06-02-2013 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber
I havent found any good reference shots of the actual knot, but most of the ones I do have all vary as to how the rope/string ties around the lattice wall...

# 9 06-02-2013 , 09:28 PM
The thin red line
The trouble is there are so meny types of knot you need to narrow it down a little................dave

Edit:the way I would model this is the knot seperate (so I could douplicate them) from the rope going around the thing

Last edited by daverave; 06-02-2013 at 09:39 PM.
# 10 07-02-2013 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber
My thinking was I would just do a generic knot, but doing further searching it appears the majority have a piece of rope that wraps round part of/all the length of the wall. See images I found with google.

At the end of the day the rope might not even be seen, but I would I to have something there just if i do a scene where one is halfway though being made. So is it best to do it with curves then extrude the geometry down the length of it?

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 11 13-02-2013 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
A small update of, the not quite finished the crown support.
Some feedback on the modeling of the bracket section would be great user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by dustykhan; 14-02-2013 at 12:06 PM.
# 12 20-02-2013 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber
When laying out UVs should you keep the UVs scale matching the object, or use all UV space avaliabe making the more important areas larger to use up the avaliable UV space and making the most out of the texture resolution otherwise it is just wasted?

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 20-02-2013 , 11:37 PM
EduSciVis-er
It depends... if you're just applying one texture to the layout (e.g. a wood texture), then keep them the same scale. If you're going to do some detailing in the texture, then give the important bits more room.

# 14 20-03-2013 , 10:18 PM
Subscriber
After a couple of busy weeks looking after my youngest brother (I feel sorry for parents with teenagers), I finaly have some time to get back to work on this. A Knot Im fairly happy with, all I need to tighten it is to scale together the control verts of the curve!

I hope to have some bigger updates soon user added image

Attached Images
# 15 20-03-2013 , 10:26 PM
The thin red line
If you use a nurb circle to create the extrude its just a case of scaling the circle..............dave