Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 08-07-2013 , 07:28 PM
Lifetime Member

Sun and Sky, mia_exposure_photographic and background image

Hi everybody

I am a bit stumped. I have a simple scene lit with MR sun and sky. The default setup uses a mia_exposure_simple node connected to the lens shader of the cameras as well as the mia_physicalsky node. Specifying a background image on the physicalsky node (mib_lookup_spherical + mentalray_texture) works like a charm.

The moment I swap out the mia_exposure_simple node with a mia_exposure_photographic, the scene objects renders ok but the background is black. What am I missing?

The RGB unit conversion is set to 0.318

Attached Thumbnails

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 2 08-07-2013 , 08:48 PM
SM Tea Boy
with the rgb unit scale set to .318 the background parameter of the exposure photographic does not work as you would expect. As a quick fix set the rgb unit scale down to the default .0001 and set the cm2 factor in the exposure photographic to 10000.000 or something suitable for your scene.

if you grab this tutorial
https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...ne/?tut_id=308

Somewhere around part 11 i go over using a sphere environment with the correct reflections, the exposure photographic use background wont show in reflections, so it's not the best way to do it.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 09-07-2013 , 09:48 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks David. Exactly what I was looking for.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.