Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 31-12-2013 , 03:56 AM

Boolean help.

I'd like to do these three sections in the model I'm working on, can someone make it simpler or give me a pointer or three..lol. I'll probably try an instance on them but I'm sure there will be issues.

Attached Images
# 2 31-12-2013 , 04:46 AM
Technical Director
What exactly are you asking for help with? Make what simpler?

In my opinion, I would avoid using booleans for that. A few simple clicks with the cut poly tool will be much less time consuming than dealing with the tedious boolean tools.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 31-12-2013 , 08:02 AM
The image does not make it clear what you are trying to do. Can you explain it or make a better image / drawing?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 31-12-2013 , 04:02 PM

The image does not make it clear what you are trying to do. Can you explain it or make a better image / drawing?

I wanted to Boolean these vents for the brakes on this Camaro instead of piling edge loops in their like I did.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 5 31-12-2013 , 06:15 PM
Technical Director
Regardless if you use booleans or extrusions, you will come out with the same result. What booleans create are called n-gons, or polygons with the number of edges greater than 4. If you smooth these ngons, it will create bad geometry, and unpredictable results. Using booleans is generally a frowned on approach in Maya, as you spend more time cleaning up after them, then by doing it entirely by hand.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 31-12-2013 , 07:53 PM

Regardless if you use booleans or extrusions, you will come out with the same result. What booleans create are called n-gons, or polygons with the number of edges greater than 4. If you smooth these ngons, it will create bad geometry, and unpredictable results. Using booleans is generally a frowned on approach in Maya, as you spend more time cleaning up after them, then by doing it entirely by hand.

Thank you. I knew they made a mess of the mesh and were pains to clean up after. I was just curious if someone had perfected them yet, or gotten them to work better I should say. I read somewhere that bullet was more familiar with using them and maybe he would of chimed in but it's no big deal. Thanks for the explanation though.

# 7 31-12-2013 , 09:04 PM
CTBram is the one who is familiar. There is also a trick Jay showed where you could harden the cuts without doubling the edges. Maybe Jay can chime in here and explain it better. I could do it in C4D because I use it a fair amount when doing subdiv stuff. But I think a Maya tutorial would be better for your use.