Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 27-01-2014 , 01:44 PM
Subscriber

HDR Glass

Dear Simply Maya Team,

I loved the Tutorial about the glass.
Following the procedure for mental ray mia material i tried to do something similar looking and got user added image
I have on the top edge a grey color reflection and dont know how to get it away. I tried a lot of things and went yesterday desperate user added image

I have tried following things to come behind the secret or to cross it out:
1. I imported one glass from the tutorial files, the glass shows the same reflection ( I thought maybe a model problem)
2. I changed the HDR, same result
3. I deleted the spot light and put a new one with different angle
4. I put the render quality for final gather to 500 and for Global Illumination even up to 1000
5. I smoothed the glasses and even tried with dielectrical instead of mia got also this odd "reflection"?

Any guess, how I could get rid off it. I will start the model again from scratch and hope will get it better.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 27-01-2014 , 01:48 PM
Subscriber

One more point

it may be the background, but i used the one from the tutorial also even with the same location. so I really dont know (yet) how to solve this

# 3 27-01-2014 , 01:55 PM
SM Tea Boy
Upload the scene file and i'll fix and give it back to you. You can also email it to me if you would like admin@simplymaya.com

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 28-01-2014 , 04:50 AM
The Nurb Herd
How many bounces?

# 5 28-01-2014 , 02:23 PM
Subscriber
Do you mean the Secondary Diffuse Bounces, there is 1.

# 6 29-01-2014 , 04:59 AM
The Nurb Herd
I mean ray depth or trace depth I think... it's been a couple of years while since I used mental ray.

# 7 29-01-2014 , 05:52 AM
Subscriber
Hehe you have something better now. The Reflection and Refraction was set to 20, Trace Depth was 40 for the Picture...

Thanks

# 8 29-01-2014 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber

Result of Correction

Hello Dave,

thank you so much for your input user added image user added image user added image user added image

The changes i did:

1. unticked "skip internal reflections" at the mental ray material
2. changed from glass physical to glass thick preset
3. under advanced refraction I ticked "max distance" with 5 and color with light blue
4. I slightly turned my HDR-image a little bit, so I am getting now sky-refelctions at the glass feet

The glass I think looks more realistic now, I still have to work on the caustics.

Attached Thumbnails