Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 24-02-2014 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber

Retopologizing...

I am trying to learn zbrush (awesome program btw). I want to build a character eventually in zbrush and bring it into maya to tweak and finalize it (texture, joints, animate, etc...) I've only done a head so far and it looks pretty good in zbrush but when I bring it into maya, it's extremely high in polys and the mesh is not ideal for animation deformations. I am nowhere near a finished product on this head in zbrush, I'm just trying to learn the process before I go too far. What's the pipeline for doing this? I love the GoZ feature and that's what I use to go back and forth but I am really new to zbrush (about a week now). I have a book on zbrush by Paul Gaboury (haven't read it through yet) and have watched a few zb tuts on youtube but haven't found a way to do this. Also, what's up with the silver looking material it puts on the model when I bring it into maya? I know I can assign a different shader but was just wondering why it did this. Anyone? Thanks...

Attached Thumbnails

Sampson
# 2 24-02-2014 , 04:34 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 24-02-2014 at 04:37 PM.
# 3 24-02-2014 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber
I have zb 4r4. The only remesher I can find is qRemesher. It didn't work so great. Maybe it's user error... I will keep trying.

Sampson
# 4 25-02-2014 , 12:50 AM
Subscriber
After some digging I found this topology brush. Still not sure how to use it properly but I think I'm on the right track...

Attached Thumbnails

Sampson
# 5 25-02-2014 , 12:54 AM
Having Fun!!!!
Look for Zsphere Retopology.

# 6 25-02-2014 , 03:07 AM
# 7 25-02-2014 , 01:20 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Juan, thanks Collin. I watched a couple vids on zphere retopo including the one above. MAN! This seems like a LOT of extra work. Plus it didn't show them exporting it into Maya. So you don't actually take the original model into maya? It's the one you create using zspheres? Does this work well? I want my ZB model to hold up in Maya with all the detail I put on it (eventually)... It doesn't seem like it would using this method.

Sampson
# 8 25-02-2014 , 04:38 PM
Technical Director
Maya can't handle the huge amount of polygons that zBrush creates; it simply isn't built for it. So you export a low-poly version of your model, then use displacement and normal maps at render time to add in the full level of detail.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 9 25-02-2014 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber

Maya can't handle the huge amount of polygons that zBrush creates; it simply isn't built for it. So you export a low-poly version of your model, then use displacement and normal maps at render time to add in the full level of detail.

How do you export a low poly version?

Sampson
# 10 25-02-2014 , 06:31 PM
That video is me btw.