Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 08-03-2014 , 12:15 AM

Render File Size

Hey Guys!

I created and rendered a 10 second animation and the file size is already 500MB. Compare to a movie (which is about 90 minutes), they are only about 1GB or less. Why is that?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

# 2 08-03-2014 , 01:14 AM
Super Moderator
If your output is avi from Maya then yes your file size will be astronomical especially with the 100% quality uncompressed default setting(and reducing quality at this stage will just leave you with even fewer options when working with the footage later). Render image sequences instead. This allows for far more control for a few reasons:

- If anything goes wrong during rendering, you don't have to re-rendering everything.
- Save hard drive space while getting great quality images.
- More flexibility with any post processing to be done

Those movies have been encoded for the optimal trade off between quality and file size. Personally, I try to not tamper with image quality until the final output.

- Genny
# 3 08-03-2014 , 11:46 AM
Apparently, I actually did render out an image sequence and then used Adobe After Effects to render the image sequence into a movie. Is Adobe After Effects the cause of it?
Thanks again!

# 4 08-03-2014 , 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
It's most likely your encoding settings. Try exporting short sections and testing different bit rates until you get a quality/file size balance. Well since it's 10 seconds you could just experiment with the whole thing.

- Genny