Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-04-2014 , 11:41 PM

Tools swap functionality?

Hello! New to the forums and the site in general, so pleasure to meet you!

I'm currently working on a project for work, and I came across an interesting bug? I guess you could call it that.
I'm by no means a pro at maya, slightly above beginner level, and I can fix this issue but I would like to know if anyone else has encountered this sort of thing before.

The parts I have been modelling, I have used a good deal of booleans (I do know the risks of such) but for some, strange reason, the functionality of Boolean Union and Boolean Difference have swapped places!

I thought my mesh was broken trying to boolean difference, but found it it was uniting them. So in order to use boolean difference I have to click boolean union, and vice versa.

I'm sure the problem can be fixed with the script editor so that's fine, but I was wondering if anyone knows what would cause such a thing? I haven't done anything that should have altered these in any way.

Kind Regards!
Mike

Last edited by ThreeFro; 02-04-2014 at 11:47 PM.
# 2 03-04-2014 , 01:58 AM
EduSciVis-er
I wonder if there is something like reversed normals on your mesh that would cause the calculation to be performed "backwards".

# 3 03-04-2014 , 02:03 AM
Hmmm, I don't think so, the normals are all correct.
I think it's the tools themselves. I clicking one does the job of the other, of course boolean intersection is left out and still does it's duty.