Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-05-2014 , 08:12 AM
Subscriber

Importance of non having Triangle & NGON's

Hi all,

I have just a generic question to the Maya and in general 3D crack's:

Some times modeling it happens that a form will end in a triangle or NGON. In the modelling community this is frowned upon, especially in the game development community.
If I'm modelling, let's say, furniture or architectural objects and my end product is a render or press product, is also not advisable to have triangle & NGON's? I learned that this is only a no go due to additional performance issue this could create in a game when during a movement the graphic must be calculated again and again.

Many thanks in advance for your contribution in putting some light in this darkness user added image

# 2 04-05-2014 , 11:41 AM
Administrator
I remember Rick made a video about this a few years back, it's sort of grumpy (he was very annoyed at the time) but it makes a good point, think about the distance of the camera to the object and how long it will take to render those extra polys to keep the quads.

ngons and low poly myths - YouTube

On the other hand, strange things sometimes happen to objects with ngons if you want to use them in simulations and the likes where it simply will not work. Maya seems to be a lot less forgiving than any other app.

# 3 06-05-2014 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber
Nilla,

Thank you for your quick answer. So reading through your answer, i understood, correct me if I'm wrong, that this would only have an impact in a simulation when objects moves around, or in a game. Using objects in a static mode as pre-press material it doesn't matter if there are some triangles in the object. Or if a furniture model is used in a scene to render to a picture etc. Right?

Thanks and cu.

# 4 07-05-2014 , 01:24 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Most video game engines will need to convert quads to tris, i have seen a good amount of game assets created entirely in tris for a quicker import process.

Or converted in maya/max before its exported.

# 5 08-05-2014 , 10:43 AM
Administrator
That's it, right.