Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-05-2014 , 08:31 AM

Make part of mesh not cast shadows

Hey all, I've been doing Minecraft renders of people, but I'm in need of help.

Basically Minecraft skins have a "hat" layer which you can imagine as a big transparent cube that surrounds the head like a helmet to add details such as headphones. My character rig's head has the "hat" and "head" cubes merged together. Is there a way to make the "hat" cube not cast shadows?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! user added image

# 2 09-05-2014 , 11:35 AM
EduSciVis-er
Go into the render stats of the object in the attribute editor and uncheck cast and receive shadows.

# 3 09-05-2014 , 12:17 PM

Go into the render stats of the object in the attribute editor and uncheck cast and receive shadows.

The problem is that I want it to cast shadows. I don't want specific faces to cast shadows. Basically I have 2 cubes, one bigger than the other, merged. So it's like a box within a box, with both meshes merged together. I don't want the outer box to cast shadows.

# 4 09-05-2014 , 01:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
Honestly I would just separate the meshes and have two boxes. Any particular reason they are merged? If you want one to follow the other, just parent one to the other.

# 5 09-05-2014 , 03:11 PM
The thin red line
Do like Stwert suggested then make a transparency map for the outer box...........dave

# 6 10-05-2014 , 04:46 AM

Do like Stwert suggested then make a transparency map for the outer box...........dave

WELL that was easy! It took me forever to find the "separate" function. Thanks!