Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 27-05-2014 , 08:06 AM

mental ray problems with contours

Hi there! I'm new and i would like some help about an irritating issue i'm wrestling with. First of all, excuse me if you don't get something of what i'm writing. English is not my main language.

So, i would like to use the contour shaders, but unfortunatly i could not make them work. To set up maya for it, your are suppose to fulfill some steps:

1) Adding a contour shader to the material. Say, contour_shader_simple. Done.

2) Set the Rendering Option so that you link contrast and store shaders in the custom shaders tab. Done.

3) Link contour_composite as on output shader in the mental ray tab of the rendering camerashape. Done.

It seems to be this last step the main culprit of this malfunction. As soon as i link the contour_composite in the output shader box of the camera, i can't no longer render with that camera. I already search the web for this problem, and i found two possible solutions, but i don't know precisely how to set them up, so i don't really know if they would work:

-The problem is the connection, which you can find in the hypershade, between contour_composite and mentalrayoutputpass. You are suppose to break this link and re-made it. But i don't know how to actually reconnect them. If i drag contour_composite on the other element, trying to have them linked automatically, it simply does not happen. I have to do it manually. If this is the real solution, how i have to link those items togheter?

I have recently tried to drag the shader in the little checked box on the side of the output shader option. The one you click and gives you the hypershade list. This way the connection seems fine, and i can render with the camera. But still, contours will not works.

-You are suppose to find some option in the camerashape named "Legacy Output Shader" and use that to link contour_composite. This option should be hidden by default. However, i cound not find it.

Please help me ; _ ; i'm going mad. If there is another way to have complex contours (by using othe shaders, but not the dafult option of the renderer, which is not enough for me) please tell me. Thanks!