Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-07-2014 , 07:23 PM

working with DWG files

Today is my first day using Maya. I am mainly work in Adobe Design Suite but we are looking to do more High End modeling and animation for some of the jobs we are pursuing. I have imported a Dwg file into Maya and want to start the process of extruding and texturing. My main question today is how can i take it from this drawing with lines everywhere to a drawing in which I can select surfaces for the different materials I want to extrude and add textures to. I know this is very simple in a program like sketchup

Specific Example: the roadway & Sidewalk, I have the lines representing the edges of the roads and sidewalks but I'm unclear how to join them and make a solid object to extrude and texture.

# 2 30-07-2014 , 09:27 PM
The thin red line
Could you show what you have imported so we can give some suggestions..............dave

# 3 31-07-2014 , 12:30 PM

Roadway Line Drawing

This is a jpeg of the line drawing that I brought into maya

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 31-07-2014 , 12:46 PM
The thin red line