Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 26-01-2015 , 02:34 PM

Move Tool, Persp view, Constrain to 2 axis, can't return to 3 axis

Silly question, using X axis as example but applies to either X, Y, or Z in description below. I must be missing something obvious but...

1. Persp view, move tool, LM click center of manipulator allows movement along all 3 axis (X, Y, and Z)
... as expected.
2. LM click manipulator X axis arrow constrains selected object to move only along X only
.... as expected.
3. CNTL + LM click X axis arrow disables X and constrains my object to move along Y and Z axis only,
... as expected.
4. But anytime I do (3), (1) no longer works. I release CNTL and just LM click center of move manipulator as in (1) I should be able to go back to X, Y, or Z axis movement, but X axis movement does not return (for click and drag center of manipulator). Once I go to (3) I cannot return to (1) although I can still do (2) or in ortho SIDE view move along X by selecting center of manipulator. I can also still change X by selecting X in channel and drag middle mouse. Scale tool does not have this problem, only Move. I tried resetting Move tool, unlocking "Translate X" channel, resetting Window/Settings-Preferences, opening a new file, etc... but X motion in persp view through click and drag center of manipulator does not return until I restart Maya. Am I missing something obvious ????? I am using Maya 2011.

Last edited by richparker; 26-01-2015 at 03:07 PM.