Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-02-2015 , 09:42 PM

How to control the ratio of nParticle instances

Hi,

I've been using nParticle instances to create a scene with multiple objects in a crowded environment. However, I am unable to figure out how to control the amount of instanced molecules that are emitted. Any help will be much appreciated.

Here is my creation expression thus far:

$i = rand(0,101);
if($i > 50) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 0;
if($i < 50) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 1;
if($i < 30) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 2;
if($i < 10) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 3;
if($i < 2) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 4;

When I have just the first 3 statements, the expression works fine but the more I add, the more unpredictable results I get. I am certain the answer is in the way that I am writing the script but haven't been able to figure it out. Ideally I would like to have a range of values (i.e. 10 > i < 50) but when I tried using the following: if($i < 50) && ($i >30) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 1; I get a syntax error.

Thanks

# 2 19-02-2015 , 12:37 AM
EduSciVis-er
You're very close. You want something like

if ($i >= 30 && $i < 50) ...
if ($i >= 10 && $i < 30) ...

# 3 21-02-2015 , 04:27 AM
That helped solve my syntax errors but I noticed a few other problems as well.

1) The objects don't seem to be emitting in the right proportions after checking the numeric object values.

2) the instancer is ignoring objects 2 and 4. This is not an error with the object geometry because if I move the objects levels up and down in the instancer (i.e. my sphere becomes object 2 and my cube is now object 3) the objects do appear - I can see the cube that was originally object 2.

Here's my updated creation expression:
int $i = rand(0,101);
if($i >= 40 && $i < 50) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 1;
if($i >= 30 && $i < 40) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 2;
if($i >= 20 && $i < 30) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 3;
if($i >= 10 && $i < 20) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 4;
if($i >= 8 && $i < 10) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 5;
if($i < 8) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 6;

At this point I've started to just create separate emitters to get the desired effect.

# 4 26-02-2015 , 04:19 PM
Update: It turned out to be a simple error in the way I set up my dynamics attribute. When I changed the attribute from vector + per particle attribute to float + per particle attribute everything started to work as intended.

I also had to change my creation expression to reflect that by writing float instead of int:

float $i = rand(0,101);
if($i >= 40 && $i < 50) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 1;
if($i >= 30 && $i < 40) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 2;
if($i >= 20 && $i < 30) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 3;
if($i >= 10 && $i < 20) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 4;
if($i >= 8 && $i < 10) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 5;
if($i < 8) nParticleShape1.indexpp = 6;