Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-03-2016 , 08:04 AM

Mesh Turns Green When Referenced

Hello, simplymaya forums! I come sharing a problem that I am sure is common.

I have a rig scene that references my character's model scene, and in turn will be referenced in my environment scenes for a project. My only issue is that when I open the rig scene, it will turn various parts of my referenced model green. This is especially confusing as when I open the source model scene, all of the textures are perfectly fine. From what I hear, this green mesh should occur when it is not sensing any input for a material. But there should be material data being referenced?

Upon seeing if I can do any surgical work in the rig scene, I can't even assign any material to the character's geometry. And of course, any changes I make to the original model textures won't effect the green faces in the rig scene.

I've had this issue in the past few versions of Maya, but I am currently using 2016. I've seen some older threads about models causing this problem and being solved by exporting as obj or merging the geometry, but I really don't want to have to do anything that will break my geometry's connection with the rig I already have set up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.