Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 10-03-2003 , 12:46 PM
Subscriber

mckinley car tutorial help -to Mike (and anyone else!)

:banana:
hey there mike, (and anyone else who can help!) am doing your Audi TT tutorial and i wanted to know, a couple of things:
after extruding the front/back, there is a hard line down the side - i spent awhile moving vertices but surely there must be a quicker way? Polygon - Smooth creates too many faces?
And (bear with me as I'm new not only to maya but 3d as a whole and have done about 1/2 the Maya Fundamental book before attempting your car!) am having probs getting the extruded surface of the side canopy to look like yours - or doesn't it matter so long as it looks good?!

thanks for any help!

Natzuser added image

# 2 10-03-2003 , 05:20 PM
The Maya Mountain
You may need to Soften your edges. Edit Polygons > Normals > Harden/Soften Edges > OPtions. Choose All Soft and apply.

If that's not the case, then perhaps a screen shot or something might help?

As for the extruded surface, the main thing you want is efficient geometry... you don't want more faces than you really need and the ones that you do have, you want to be fairly neatly layed out. Also, after extruding (I'm assuming you used the Surfaces > Extrude... sometimes it can get a little confusing), your original curve still has its history, so you can adjust its CVs and it will adjust the shape of the surface.

user added image

# 3 10-03-2003 , 07:03 PM
Subscriber
:bgreen:
cheers mate! user added image did have abit of play with "soften" but will look at it again! and yes, I was doing Surface>Extrude. working on my own, is hard to compare against anything other than you experts!

Natz

PS - nice one on getting a TT - they're only my FAV car over all others, which is motivational when I get stuck and feel like user added image !!

Natz