Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 10-06-2003 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber
This thread is STILL going off target! All I ask is what would happen if AW was got hold of by Apple - it seems that most people here think it would be dire consequences - that's what I am on about, what would they potentially do that wuld make it that way?

but what I would like is for someone to lay out the pros and cons for both platforms (without the sarcasm ) so we can let people see why one would prefer one over the over

Kev, I use both platforms daily at work for design for print, websites, multimedia and some 3D user added image . We use Cinema 4D at work, which is good, I tried to get Maya user added image but it was deemed too complicated annd we don't really do character animation user added image which is were Maya beats C4D hands down - I find Mocca a bit lame... Anyway, I will give you my unbiased view of both platforms if you want in a separate thread.

How does that sound?

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 32 10-06-2003 , 09:33 AM
Off-topic again, but...

Just a little reminder: M$ and/or Windows != PC. PC is just the harware and you can run it without even peeing towards M$ direction.

Personally I'd love to switch completely to Linux.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 33 10-06-2003 , 09:45 AM
Kevin
well I think from what most people are saying gazz is that if apple got hold of it that they would move onto max...

so in other words they believe apple would totally destroy it...And who knows how they would destroy it??? I mean if they did know then surly they wouldnt do it in the first place....right??

When apple is in the topic Im afraid the platfom issue will raise its head, and i guess its just the way threads evolve user added image

I asked a guy of reasons why apple "may" destroy AW...he pointed me to this list, its rather old but he thinks that it certainly has some major points (and forgive the sarcasm in the list as I did not write it )

29. The mac is way over priced
28. Two mouse buttons are better than one
27. Three mouse buttons are better than two
26. More than one company makes IBM Compatable
25. No one ever heard of Apple Compatable
24. Soundblaster don't work with Apple
23. Matrox is for IBM
22. IBM's have the best games (just goto EB)
21. Hackers don't even use Macintrash
20. Only Educational institutions use Macintosh
19. Programers write in on IBM's
18. AOL, Prodigy, AND ALL Local Internet Access Numbers hook directly into a IBM's
17. You can type faster on a IBM
16. Only Apple Makes Macintosh Format computers so you don't have to worry about generic (or a variety of prices)
15. You can see the web in more than 8 fonts!
14. IBM computers sound better
13. Powered by Intel, Cyrix, or AMD rather than Motorola
12. Highest Speed 266Mhz on an IBM but only 166Mhz on Mac
11. Mac uses IBM Hardware (Hard Drive, CD-Rom, etc.)
10. IBM costs less
9. Everyone uses a Macintosh, Bullsh*t!
8. Software runs faster on an IBM
7. The internet was made for Mac, but over run by IBM
6. Macintosh runs "faster, cooler, and safer"©
5. There are too many IBM computers out there already, so keep making more
4. Macintosh is idiot proof
3. All of the computer is in one piece so you can't upgrade the Monitor
2. There is only one OS for Macintosh
1. Software ALWAYS comes out for IBM before it's Macintosh format.

Many people have a dislike for the mac so I guess if apple got hold of maya then people would think it would end out like a mac.

Oh I dont know mate.... We humans are a funny old race user added image

# 34 10-06-2003 , 09:47 AM
Kevin

# 35 10-06-2003 , 09:47 AM
Kevin
hmmm that was a bit sarcastic wasnt it gazz user added image

maybe I should listen to me own advise

# 36 10-06-2003 , 10:32 AM
Subscriber
Yup see ya point Kev, mind you that site was funny!

Thing is I always found configuring a PC more complicated too much to choose from and Win98 was an application rather than an operating system. I had it completely wreck one of my machines, I put Win2k on and have never looked back. OS 9 was easy to fix without hacking registries or have to reformat and reinstall the whole operating system, but OSX does look very promising and you can fiddle about with it under the bonnet if you know Unix - which ironically is where AW started!

But what I said earlier about platform comparisons will be answered in this website by Mash who used to work for Maxon (Makers of Cinema 4D). It's based around C4D but it still applies to Maya.

https://www.imashination.com/faqcpu.html

https://www.imashination.com/faqgfx.html

https://www.imashination.com/hardware.html

We are are here cos we are into 3D right? Well, in a nutshell the PC is the best tool for the job, better GPUs and CPUs - end of story as far as speed is concerned. So it just boils down to interface I suppose do you like the XP look or do you like the OSX look - ha, ha, ha user added image. Then again as Kbrown said there is always Linux...

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com

Last edited by gazzamataz; 10-06-2003 at 10:35 AM.
# 37 10-06-2003 , 11:44 AM
I hate those hypocrites who say they hate microsoft even though they keep running windows. Switch to linux or something poeople! I've heard good about lindows. www.lindows.com

# 38 10-06-2003 , 12:07 PM

Originally posted by HAL 9000
I hate those hypocrites who say they hate microsoft even though they keep running windows. Switch to linux or something poeople! I've heard good about lindows. www.lindows.com

Chill out mate. One could hate Microsoft and still keep on running Windows, that´s yet again a matter of opinion. That does not make a person hypocrit. I for instance would like a whole f*cking more out of Windows, but what should I do, go into Linux without one single clue about how to program?
Nah. Don´t think so.

# 39 10-06-2003 , 12:12 PM
Kevin
the calming influence of adldesigner!

theres simply nothing quite like it! :thumbsup:

# 40 10-06-2003 , 12:25 PM
I have both Linux (RH8) and Windows (2000) on my machine. I use them both. Linux is way behind in terms of A/V and multimedia application availability than many (or any) other OS'es but it is growing slowly. In many other areas it is way ahead (stability, security, flexibility for example). It's just a matter of time when I'll dump Windows completely...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 41 10-06-2003 , 12:51 PM
Subscriber
Maya does not work under Lindows. Only RedHat.

# 42 10-06-2003 , 12:59 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Ultragames
The day Apple owns Maya is the day I switch to 3DSMax. Apple is complete junk. The simplicity of Apple computers...

Originally posted by z1mmnd14
Dude, are you mad! The Mac couldn't get more complicated...

gazz just asked a simple question. but he gets irrelevant and divergent oppinions on Macs from M$ users. user added image

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Sheesh... who cares? They both work! Fugeddaboudit. user added image

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.

Last edited by Axel; 10-06-2003 at 01:26 PM.
# 43 10-06-2003 , 01:05 PM

Originally posted by roach105
Maya does not work under Lindows. Only RedHat.

RedHat is the most stress free choice for Maya but I don't see any reasons why it would not work on any other Linux distributions as well. I've read about many success stories about running Maya on slackware, debian, mandrake and so on... Of course you need to be carefull about what libraries and whatnot is required to run Maya. This is the case with RH too but usually it's ready for Maya straight out of the box...

*Edit*
Since I'm writing only off-topic replies I'll just shut up from now on user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Last edited by kbrown; 10-06-2003 at 01:07 PM.
# 44 10-06-2003 , 01:32 PM
Kevin
kari, I wouldnt worry about that to much! This trhead went of topic around the 3rd post user added image

and in any case.... thats the good thing about discussion mate!

# 45 10-06-2003 , 03:40 PM

Originally posted by gazzamataz
This thread is STILL going off target! All I ask is what would happen if AW was got hold of by Apple - it seems that most people here think it would be dire consequences - that's what I am on about, what would they potentially do that wuld make it that way?

Well, imho, apple would do what they have historicly done with great software.

1. They would make it MAC ONLY.

2. They would KILL any support for the pc user.
(thus screwing themselves out of marketshare, and adding to the DROVES of mac-haters)

3. Regardless of whether the app was improved upon or torn apart, the end price is simply WAY to much even for the regular mac user.

4. AND, if it is thrown into some sort of appleesque ( i- insert app here ), forget getting any respect from your i-peers because then they think that you are not using "PRO" software anymore simply because it starts with the letter I.

5. Plus, now that the app is on a mac, even FORMER HARDCORE MAC LOVING INDUSTRY LEADERS like ADOBE have PUBLICLY stated thier support for the PC industryuser added image
Want proof?
I'd love to give it to you, but due to pressure from jealous outside sources, Adobe has taken the page down. user added image
I've emailed them about it, but I probably won't hear anything... user added image

[ot]
Realisticly folks, I personally don't hate apple because of something minor and simple.
I hate apple because EVERY SINGLE TIME I've tried to give them a chance to redeem themselves, they screw it up, and then they, thier users, AND thier support staff crap in my face!
THAT'S why I use the word HATEuser added image
Plus, I'm forced to struggle with them everyday, so that doesn't help things user added image
[/ot]

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com